Musical key and scale lock toggle for +/- buttons

For those that are not super musically inclined, it would be useful to have a quick toggle to restrict note entry to a preset scale and key to keep things in tune easily without guesswork, and to disable it in case the user is inputting non-melodic notes or for playing out of key.

What is the problem?

On the original Polyend Tracker, you could set the pads to a specific musical key and scale, which would allow users to keep music in key easily, and they could easily nudge notes if they wanted them out of key. On the Tracker Mini, obviously the pads don’t exist, and the +/- buttons only move the note in preset increments. This may make it harder for users with less musical experience to easily keep their music in key.

What do you want to achieve?

Enable settings/toggle to set a musical key lock for note entry.

Are there any workarounds?

Get better at music theory? :slight_smile: Sarcasm aside, there are no workarounds at this time.

Any links to related discussions?

None that I could find.

Any references to other products?

Original Polyend Tracker

9 Likes

@here Thanks for your wish. It’s now ready for voting :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That would be nice

1 Like

Definitely needed feature.

And ideally even, key detection on the sampled sounds.

4 Likes

Late to responding to this, but I agree - something to easily tune samples would be an excellent QoL addition.

3 Likes

This would be so cool!

I’ll add to the crowd here, I feel lost without my scale filters :wink:

2 Likes

Yes!!
This has my vote!:metal:
Shouldn’t be hard to implement it too

1 Like

Hey, it’s @stazma ! Assuming you’re the same one I’ve seen on YouTube many times, it’s nice to get your seal of approval!

1 Like

the keyboard could perhaps be set in any scale or arbitrary note or microtone too.
that way two wishes in one command

1 Like

Voted!
For the Mini Keyboard Mini MIDI Keyboard
We are hoping to add a way to edit the scales on v2 of the firmware, but if Polyend was add this functionality to the Mini on their end, it would be a much better user experience - and of course work with all other MIDI input devices too.

1 Like

There is another feature request to display flats instead of sharps. I think this one should be the basis of displaying flats or sharps—select E major, and the system defaults to displaying sharps, switch to E-flat Major, and it switches to displaying flats.

Related to this desire to lock the +/- to a key/scale, is that right now the entire project isn’t in a key so if you use the fill function, you’re just… in C always.

The key (and then scale) should effect the input and the fill function?