MIDI record multiple notes on the same step via external controller

The MIDI tracks are advertised as polyphonic, but in reality they can only record 1 note per step when using an external controller.

What is the problem?

Live recording from a MIDI Keyboard only assign 1 note per channel. The 8 “polyphonic” MIDI tracks can only record 8 notes at the same time. In practice this means we can record and sequence way less external gear than 8 devices. The documentation and specs are a bit misleading about this limitation as well.

What do you want to achieve?

Each key I press on the MIDI keyboard to be recorded into a single step.

Are there any workarounds?

Not really. Closest is to use chords but is not the same.

Any links to related discussions?

There is some misleading information about the polyphony of MIDI tracks:

And some quotes from the manual:

Flexible sequencing with 8 audio tracks and 8 polyphonic MIDI tracks for controlling your outboard gear…

…However, MIDI tracks are polyphonic and work on a different basis. Additionally, there is a chord function available

And also this:

Yes, the MIDI tracks are polyphonic. A single step can hold and play a note or a chord. Notes and chords on successive steps can overlap, so the one limitation here is the polyphony of the instrument on the other end of the MIDI cable.

The onboard chords from the pre-programmed list are holding up to 7 notes. But, each step can hold (you can MIDI record notes to a step) and spit up to 30 MIDI notes at the same time.

Source FAQ Page

BUT while they are “technically” polyphonic you cannot record a chord from a keyboard, this is found deep down in the manual:

The Polyend Play’s MIDI tracks are polyphonic and allow the per-step output of pre-programmed MIDI chords, but when recording MIDI chords as many tracks as there are notes in it will be occupied.

7 Likes

Hey @baj , welcome to the community :hugs:

i’ve slightly altered your wording in your wish and removed the following section, since that is a personal anecdote:

I still wanted to keep it here, since it does reflect your personal feeling, so i hope that is ok with you :blush:

That’s great @Sandroid Thanks!!

Not connected directly, but it could also drastically improve midi rec mode by allowing longer sequences using variations:

1 Like

I was confuse also since it is not clearly mentioned in the manual.
I would really like to see true midi polyphonic tracks.

@baj Thanks for your contribution. Unfortunately, the wish doesn’t fit our current product design direction. :slight_smile:

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Polyphonic MIDI tracks on the Play

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.