Make the 16x8 grid a full keyboard layout to input notes

What is the problem?

The current keyboard layout on the 4×8 grid feels clunky to play.

What do you want to achieve?

Enable a keyboard mode for the full 16x8 grid, allowing users to play out and record notes over multiple octaves directly on the large grid itself.

When a scale/key is chosen, the keyboard highlights the root notes and notes in that chosen scale, assisting the user playing in the scale/key.

Are there any workarounds?

Use the 4x8 grid to enter notes.

Any links to related discussions?

Any references to other products?

Polyend Tracker, Polyend Medusa, Synthstrom Deluge, Novation Circuit.

10 Likes

@here thanks for contributing! The wish is open for voting :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This would be awesome. Voted.

1 Like

Now that the Piano Roll mode is in firmware 1.4, should this be closed?

The 4x8 keyboard (and therefore the 16x8 requested here) can be used to play in real time, live recording or just playing for fun. The piano roll offers something different, so this wish still makes sense. If anyone is satisfied with the new piano roll, they can always remove their vote here and use it somewhere else. :slight_smile:

Actually would be helpful not only to have notes to play in the 16x8 grid. But what about chords within the scale soy you could have many chords in different octaves and with different variations.

2 Likes

This is a good idea, following on your own suggestion at New feature: Chord mode like the OXI. The full pad only for notes might be overkill for most people and scales. We could have two regions of 8x8 pads, one for notes and one for pads. That would also put developers and users in a very familiar territory, given that 8x8 pads are commonplace for notes and chords (Medusa, Launchpad, etc).

1 Like

Just adding in the word isomorphic should someone search and not find it and try to create a wish like I did :joy: voted in the affirmative

1 Like

I would be super happy with a 2 row (or maybe 4 row for more octaves) vertical keyboard for live recording. I don’t get on well with the horizontal keyboard.

My idea of it - This will cover the bottom two grid rows, but you could simply assign two buttons for grid UP/DOWN. (…sorry for my bad English!)

1 Like

+1 for the OP’s wish. I’d really like a keyboard at the bottom of the screen in some way. whether it’s isomorphic, or piano or whatever. playing the sideways one is a bit tricky.