Beat Slice mode allowing to play through to end of sample

It would be absolutely awesome if we had a mode where slices would play from their respective marker “through” to the end of the sample (or as far as it can whilst the note is on) instead of stopping when it reaches the next marker.

What is the problem?

Currently when a sample is sliced, each slice plays from that slice’s marker and stops when it hits the marker of the next slice.

What do you want to achieve?

A new Beat Slice mode where slices would play from their respective marker “through” to the end of the sample (or until an OFF command, etc). This would make programming drum breaks much more fluid, and is widely implemented on other samplers that have slice modes.

Are there any workarounds?

There is the P command, but it’s not precise enough. You can’t hit the start of a transient accurately in a breakbeat, particularly with longer samples. You also can’t jam out a rhythm or a phrase MPC-style on the pads with the P command.

Any links to related discussions?

The old Polyend Tracker Github posts - 254, 461, 1012 + more

Any references to other products?

Ableton Live has Thru mode on the Simpler device (see 2:08 in this demo Ableton Sampling Tutorial in Simpler – Slicing Samples - YouTube).

Renoise also has this mode (the little 1> button at the top right of the slicing screen).

MPC’s can also do this.

5 Likes

There is technically already a way to do this by using the Position Step FX.

Meaning, that this will start a sample at a given position and play through till the end unless you stop it by other means.

But i could see that a playback mode that uses markers to precisely pinpoint locations that you want to trigger could be helpful.

Aware of P command but it’s not precise enough as you say, you can’t hit the start of a transient accurately in a breakbeat, particularly with longer samples.

You also can’t jam out a rhythm or sample MPC-style on the pads with the P command.

I have added this workaround to the description and I have done some cosmetic changes to polish the wish. What do you think?

Can you add the links, please? This way nobody has to go to GitHub and search them manually.

In references to other products, since you mention MPC-style jamming, I guess we can add the MPC family? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Blockquote Can you add the links, please? This way nobody has to go to GitHub and search them manually.

I amalgamated the most useful bits of the various github tickets so don’t think its really necessary.

MPC - sure

1 Like

@here another one goes to voting! Thanks for your contributions

2 Likes

Position is more of a guessing game compared to slice. This is a nice suggestion that could be easily implemented! This gets my vote.

2 Likes

Been a little while and not much word on this, know it’s a small thing but would still would really like this as an option just because it can be really useful for doing certain sample play and honestly with slicing already in it would be easier to just use slices + this option, compared to having to use P instead of slices

Just to expand on this in Renoise since I feel it’s strongly relevant also being a tracker, an image of it in the UI:

and a video example of it can be seen here:

Renoise - Sample Slicing

2 Likes

upvote.

1 Like

To vote this wish you need to click the button below the number of votes in the top left corner. Everyone gets 10 votes.

never used the voting tool… thanks

1 Like