Solo [Arm] a track

The way ARM’ing is currently implemented leads to having to UNARM more tracks than actually ARM’ing. It would be useful if the selection behaviour would be reversed.

As in: it would be easier if tracks where UNARM’ed when requesting to ARM instead of everything being ARM’ed from the get-go.

What is the problem?

For people who use ARM’ing to prevent notes from recording to adjacent tracks, the process of UNARM’ing is cumbersome, the way it is currently implemented.

What should this feature achieve?

Simple solution:
Have a way that allows to quickly ARM/UNARM all tracks via a shortcut / key kombo

Alternate solution:

• Change the ARM’ing behaviour (maybe via a config option to retain the current behaviour)
  • When no ARM’ing is requested, record to all available tracks
  • When starting to ARM by holding the SHIFT + Record combo, start by having no tracks ARM’ed, so the user can select which tracks to ARM instead of having to UNARM everything

Are there any workarounds?

Manually UNARM the 15 other tracks

Any links to related discussions?

Any references to other products?

1 Like

Hey @gravedraq, i’ve taken the liberty to reword your wish and extend the details to a certain degress. Let me know if this still fits your wish. :blush:

1 Like

The issue with your flow is that it is contradictory in its core:

1. All tracks should be armed for starters if no arming is requested.
  2. If you activate the arm menu no tracks are selected as armed at start.
  3. Then…imagine that you don’t arm any tracks and close the menu by releasing the keys…
  4. Using the arming menu you un-armed all tracks by entering and exiting it.

Is that state of no-armed tracks desirable? I might see how it can annoy and confuse a lot of people (it will annoy me a lot :D)

Cheers.

Contradictory to what? The rest of the world?

Any other major DAW, Groovebox and midi sequencer works like. You arm the desired pattern and record onto it, not all 16 at once.

Any major cassette tape recorder work like that too. You arm the track and record onto it, not all 4 at once.

Any major studio reel-to-reel recorder work like that too. You arm the track and record onto it. Not all tracks at once.

1 Like

Yes, but the tracker is none of those (hardware or software wise).

Could you please run though the actions I described and tell me how would you avoid un-arming all tracks if by mistake you press the key combo and release it afterwards? Does it clashes directly with the requirement where all tracks should be armed by default?

The contradiction is not about its relation to other systems in comparison but how you described the process to make it work like you want in the tracker.

This is exactly why i added two proposed solutions how this could be implemented.

1 Like

Yes, if the change in the SHIFT+Record mode is added one solution is to have a fast toggle to rearm all if you changed your mind once you pressed SHIFT+Record…but in any case the feature requires the current behaviour changed + a new shortcut to deal with undoing short Shift+Record actions, otherwise pressing the combo by mistake will be veeery annoying.

1 Like

I honestly don’t understand you’re point of view.

Because having all tracks armed and being forced to unarm 15 tracks to have a normalized work-flow coming from any other recording environment beyond the „Tracker mindset“ is both annoying and confusing too.

Exactly!
To me the whole MIDI In on Tracker/Tracker Mini is confusing.

Why not make it Track-based in the first place?

1 Like

@here Thanks for your wish. It’s now ready for voting :slight_smile: