Replace notes while recording (overdubbing)

Notes Replace Mode when entering notes directly on the Tracker or via MIDI.

A recording mode in which while live-recording, it will replace existing notes on a track, when new notes are entered for the step. Either when recording directly on the Tracker or via MIDI.

What is the problem?

When recording notes on the tracker it records on the first pass, afterwards when you press a pad for a note or a slice it will only record something if the step is empty, nothing can be recorded between a step and note end.

What do you want to achieve?

Ability to select/arm a track, press record, capture notes and keep adding them whilst replacing old notes. It would be easier to program using input from the tracker pads. This would allow you to listen while you are recording the notes, as at the moment it feels like you have only one chance to get it right. If you haven’t recorded the notes right you have to delete and then start again.
This option could make live-recording more versatile.

Are there any workarounds?

You can record the steps and then change them with the knob dial. It’s ok but a bit time consuming when you have more than one pattern, you end up spending most of the time searching. You can arm record and change the notes by pressing the pads but you are chancing and everything is guess working.

Any links to related discussions?

Any references to other products?

The Octatrack allows you to replace notes continuously, new note in - old one out.
this is a feature included in some daws when you can choose how to record, merge/replace/etc

6 Likes

I have changed the wording slightly so that it is a feature that can be used with or without MIDI. I hope that is ok.

Sounds good to me.

1 Like

@here Thanks for your wish. It’s now ready for voting :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It would be useful to add the string overdub to the title because that is the string I searched for when looking for this feature request.

I’m a new user of the tracker and I really like it so far but this is the biggest gap in the product in my opinion.

Three an old Github repo with this feature request also and some of the users there make compelling points.

2 Likes

Yeah, traditionally this has been called overdub.
Good idea!

2 Likes

This would be great - a definite workflow improvement!

1 Like

Got my vote. Added a tag for the Mini though :wink:

1 Like

Yeah!! This would be great! The current workflow is very confusing because it seems to jump tracks at random. ( I now realise this is due to samples that don’t have OFFs, which is very unintuitive )