Perform mode’s pitch shift should change midi notes

When in perform mode, red transpose buttons should also change the notes in MIDI tracks.

What is the problem?

If you are using external synths, you would want all pitched sounds to modulate, whether they are samples or coming from midi, otherwise you will have notes out of tune with each other. This makes the MIDI tracks lose their potential, and perform mode modulation pads not useful.

What do you want to achieve?

All pitched sounds, whether internal samples or coming from external midi devices, should be pitched together. The ability to use midi notes while modulating tracks in perform mode. (Tracks would be organized so that sample based and midi tracks that are melodic/pitched would share the same track lane, while percussions would share different lanes) so you can select them both using one ‘select’ button.

Are there any workarounds?

Workaround one: don’t use midi for pitched notes.
Workaround two: don’t use perform mode if you have midi notes.

Any links to related discussions?

Any references to other products?

The Play is unique as far as I know in its treatment of sample based playback, robust midi sequencing implementation, while offering a live ‘perform’ mode with on the fly modulations. It would be a shame if these various aspects of the device didn’t work completely in tandem to each other.

2 Likes

@here Thanks for your wish. It’s now ready for voting :slight_smile:

1 Like

oh man, didn’t know this was a thing! I hadn’t tried it with anything but drums yet.

you DEFINITELY have my vote on this one!

1 Like

Id like to edit /comment that ‘‘selected tracks’’ should be pitched … not all … often you want that bass to still blow low even if the rest is goin to the soprano house :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, I’m envisioning a workflow where you keep ‘pitched’ and ‘unpitched’ tracks consistent between the two pages.

Now that the synths of Play + are announced, I really hope that means an upgrade to perform mode for all Play devices is on the way.

1 Like