Perform Feature Using Midi

Is it technically not possible in the current build of the Play to use the performance option (delays, bit crush, re arranger) when in Midi mode? I don’t want to add it to the wish list and be told it can’t be done and waste time. Thanks

1 Like

to apply effects like bit crush etc there’s should be an actual audio to process while midi is midi, right? just messages sent between devices.

Ambivalence is correct here. I think over 1/2 of the perform mode features wouldn’t work via MIDI.

MIDI perform mode could not process any audio, so no bit crushing, filter, reverb, or delay.

The pitch shifting would be the smoothest to work via MIDI as the notes would just change, as well as the rearrange and maybe repeats. Loop could work, but MIDI might be too slow for faster repeats, just speculating.

So things like a filter would have to be mapped via CC to the filter on your MIDI device IF it has one. I think maybe a custom mapping of CCs via perform mode might be way you would have to go about it. And that doesn’t sound very fun to me but feel free to request it. I do not know if it is within the scope of the vision for the Play.

I asked, and creating a wish wouldn’t be a waste of time. If you or anyone else wants to go ahead, I’ll be happy to help. I also think that MIDI Perform would be very cool!

2 Likes

These are the audio Perform effects. Let’s see how they would do on MIDI Perform mode:

Red – activates Tune with predefined +/- values.

:white_check_mark: Note pitch, no problem.

Orange – controls Low-Pass/High-Pass Filter Cutoff.

:x: No MIDI equivalent. What could go here?

Yellow – enables Overdrive/Bit Depth effects, controlled with predefined values.

Green – triggers the Rearrange Algorithmic custom playhead shuffler presets.

:white_check_mark: The same can be done with MIDI steps.

Cyan – triggers Repeat algorithmic step repeater presets.

:white_check_mark: The same can be done with MIDI steps.

Violet – applying Delay punch-in presets.

:question: MIDI delay is technically possible, but no idea about the feasibility of its implementation, or how would it sound. If there is a way to translate the audio delay effects to MIDI, it would be worth trying.

Purple – applying Reverb punch-in presets.

Pink – gives access to Loop audio buffer-type punch-in effect presets (it’s a master
effect, and does not require selecting tracks to be audible).

2 Likes

OK, so Tune, Shuffle, Repeater and Delay would take 4x2 columns = 8.

This means that we still would have 8 columns available (plus the notes keyboard). Now imagine that we would connect the Tracker Mini, and after an automatic handshake you could use these 8 columns for Tracker Mini performance… (in case you were missing the pads). I don’t know whether anyone would need this, but the idea came and I had to write it somewhere.

Just brainstorming. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

brainstorming is good. I hope something comes of this. there are 8 billions heads on the planet. Surely someone will find a use. Cheers.

This could be for the remaining empty rows. a simple implementation would be having each pad send a fixed cc. A more fun implementation could be having a predefined cc modulation pattern per pad, which would give more movement than a fixed cc. A bit like the repeater algos but for cc only.

Another one could be having direct access to the track tempo. Currently it is possible to scroll with the encoder on the selected tracks, but having it on pads would allow to switch between tempos easliy (without scrolling the entire range in between 2 different tempo options and having to be precise on the encoder)

There is a wish about having 8 additional midi tracks. If this was to be implemented, 4 of the empty rows could be dedicated to the same last rows (mute/solo/var/select) for the additional 8 tracks, giving the option to mute/solo/var/select all of the 16 tracks at once. Would be amazing :smiley:

3 Likes

Couldn’t it be implemented to use the CCs that are already mapped to the knobs? Perhaps even as a macro where it controls any given number of selected (pre-mapped in settings) CCs in a range-editable, invertable way. So to pick arbitrary example numbers, one column from bottom to top could send values of [the CC mapped to bit depth] from say 50-80 as well as values of [the CC mapped to cutoff] from 127 to 75.

Another idea would be to set up one or two X-Y areas with two of these CCs (again range editing/inverting would be desired)

@a.radder, I guess, you’re looking for this:

I bought play with the naive idea that every midi capable device has full midi implementation, so it was a real bummer :slight_smile: Last ≈ summer when this forum wasn’t even there, I recieved promising email answer that midi implementation is somewhere down the road, but, yeah. Had high hopes I could add a sparkle for my live guitar arrangements via a midi controller’s footswitches and Play. It also turned out it doesn’t even have its own midi channel for starters, so you can’t control knobs with midi expression pedals.

As for this thread, it was about the perform mode for midi sequencer, which, indeed, could be also nice to have, even if some of the perform features won’t be available (no «wish» for that, but I lost my faith in the concept).

I am confused by this reply. Of course I’m talking about a proposed MIDI perform mode. I don’t think it makes any sense to add MIDI out functionality to the existing audio perform mode.

guess I should have read more carefully!

I thought that this was about adding Perform control to MIDI mode, which I guess would be a different (but awesome) thing :smiley:

There have been some comments about perform mode for MIDI. Do you or anyone else want to create a topic about this? Some effects are translatable (i.e. note shift) but some are not.

That would open a new and exciting can of worms!

As far as midi perform effects obviously a lot of the audio ones wouldnt work but one that I think would be a very exciting addition should this become a thing would be an arpeggiator

1 Like

(((I have moved here several comments posted on MIDI control over Perform mode that in fact belong here.)))

I’m running into a problem where I set up a track with both audio and MIDI components, then go into perform mode, choose a red ‘Tune’ (transpose) pad to move to new harmonies, only to be reminded that the MIDI does not transpose along with the audio tracks. :sob:

Should this be wishlisted? Because it seems like a severe oversight. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Good point!

I think it sounds like a good wish!

2 Likes