Is the Tracker able to import and export classic mod files?

:information_source: Important Information:

As of Firmware 1.7, this feature has been removed.
Read about the reasons for this removal here.

If you would like to see this feature reimplemented, there is a wish you can vote on.

Polyend Tracker is able to import/export classic tracker project files with their basic properties (samples/instruments, notes/patterns, song structure, and volume info). Open .mod/.it (many other classic tracker project file formats like .xm/.s3m can be opened in the Schism Tracker or Milky Tracker and then converted and saved as .it and so imported to Polyend Tracker). It allows you to export .it files that are compatible with the Renoise, Schism Tracker, or Milky Tracker.

Note: The .mod file import and .it export may not 100% flawlessly work as expected.

Accomplishing full unity in terms of exports and imports is not fully doable. Even considering a standardized level of compatibility, it won’t be possible to convert or provide data to convert projects one-to-one. There’s a variety of tracker applications out there, they’re working on a different basis usually. And that’s also why the import/export capabilities are limited to the currently supported parameters and values.

In other words, you may need to adjust the instruments and their particular values and maintain samples and volume levels manually.

1 Like

I haven’t been able to successfully open a .mod or .it file/project in Tracker. Has anyone been able to do this and if so, any tips/advice?

1 Like

i have, with .it files. only problem was that the instruments didn’t import, so you’ll need to add them after.

1 Like

How do you load .it files? I added some to my SD card, but when i choose to open a project, they don’t show up in the folder I placed them in.

Hey @tsh717 , welcome to Backstage :partying_face:

Sadly this feature has been removed since Firmware 1.7. I’ve updated the original post here to reflect this and to add some more details. Sorry for the inconvenience. :heart:

Currently you can rollback to Firmware 1.6 and open those projects and save them as a Polyend Tracker project. Then you could update back to the latest Firmware if you need to.

Keep in mind - this workaround may work for now, but obviously there is no guarantee this will remain so.

I have a Tracker Mini device with a firmware 1.0.0 build 492, which is stated as based on a firmware version that still support import / export of modules (“Tracker Mini Firmware 1.0 builds upon the original Tracker Firmware 1.6”). Even current user manual on page 199 have description for an “IMPORTING / EXPORTING AN .IT FILE”. But when i use my device there is no such [Import .mod] option in the Menu->File ( only [New Project], [Open],,,[Save],[Save As],[Export], ). Also there is no [Export as .it] option in [Export] submenu. I made my buying decision based on the Tracker Mini Manual v1.0 reading, just decided not to upgrade to 1.0.1 to have classic mod import / export options… But now i discovered it’s not possible in tracker mini even on 1.0.0 firmware! What i must do to import .IT file or seems like the manual is totally wrong and misleading?