Conditional steps on Tracker

Possibility to write custom FX functions. Like, change random note in whole sequence (according to selected scale) on step as FX, etc. This would really bring the Tracker to modern ages, right now it is just the hardware clone of 90’s trackers. Beautiful interface feels underused.

What is the problem?

Not enough logical operators for generative music.

What do you want to achieve?

Conditional steps. For example step is played/triggered only when user defined & set conditions are true. Example: Trigger step on track 2 only when same step on track one is triggered (which might have chance or some other randomization FX on it). This could be predefined FX where parameter value is just track number.

Alternatively, this logic could be set up in some kind of editor (either external or built in) and assigned like midi CCs are signed. For example write a condition:

if(curstep(curtrack-1) == enabled, curstep(curtrack) = randomnote(inputvalue))

and map it to FX number like mapping CCs is done.

Tracker has nice keyboard and beautiful interface, use it, redefine oldschool trackers!

Are there any workarounds?

No.

Any links to related discussions?

No.

Any references to other products?

No. All other products even new ones, are also stagnated. Grid based sequencers are quite uninformative.

4 Likes

Hi @Radiowaves, welcome to Backstage. Is this what you are asking for? If it is, please add your vote!

About your Pure Data project, very cool! If you have specific wishes, first make sure that they haven’t been proposed on thr Wishlist already. If not, see Writing a good feature request.

No, it is not what I am asking for. What you describe is deterministic enough to just make via patterns.
But I suppose it could fit into custom conditional logic.
What I mean is basically the ability for one track to send a signal to other track to enable a step.

Tracker has a nice keyboard. It is very far fetched but I suppose it could be cool to even write own step expressions and functions on the tracker itself. Not sure if this is possible though via current backend architecture. For example write a condition: if(curstep(curtrack-1) == enabled, curstep(curtrack) = randomnote(inputvalue)) and map it to FX number like mapping CCs is done.

Ok, do you want to submit a wish about this conditional step?

Yes, that is a necessary first step. I have added the template that all wishes are using, and now the top post is wiki editable. @Radiowaves can you rephrase your feature request to follow the template, please?

@Radiowaves thanks for interesting proposal. Unfortunately, this doesn’t fit the our design direction for the product at the moment.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.