A:B conditions for each sequencer pass

A:B conditions for playing steps on the Tracker.

What is the problem?

Missing more control of chance effects.

What do you want to achieve?

We have chance fx and random fx, but it would be nice to have control over how many times a step plays after each sequencer pass or how many times an fx is triggered. For example, a snare plays 1 out of every two passes, or on the 3rd pass a roll is triggered.

Are there any workarounds?

Making multiple patterns.

Any links to related discussions?

Any references to other products?

The Play has many options for Chance in addition to %.

From the Play manual

From the Play manual:

Chance – determines if/when the selected action is executed. If the action is eg. “Random Note” controls the tuning condition for triggered notes. The algorithmic Chance/Action couple operates on both internal sample-based and MIDI sequencing and is never destructive to the existing steps.

• Always – probability turned off.
  • 90-10% chance – a random probability percentage.
  • The Group with last – plays the step only if the previous step with the condition on the track was played, making it possible to link steps with a random probability. Either none or all are played.
  • Play N/Skip M – determines step playback in subsequent loops of the pattern. e.g. Play 2/Skip 3 will play the step twice. Then ignore the step in the next 3 loops, and then play twice again, and so on.
  • Skip N/Play M – same as above but starts with skipping N times.
  • When working on a single pattern in Play, the Chance/Action Play/Skip values always trigger steps as it was the first loop iteration. This will work differently when creating chains in the Pattern mode.

Also, trig conditions on Elektron products.

7 Likes

@reubenfinger thank you for proposing a wish.

The Play has many options for Chance in addition to %. We could use them as reference for this wish:

From the Play manual:

Chance – determines if/when the selected action is executed. If the action is eg. “Random Note” controls the tuning condition for triggered notes. The algorithmic Chance/Action couple operates on both internal sample-based and MIDI sequencing and is never destructive to the existing steps.

• Always – probability turned off.
  • 90-10% chance – a random probability percentage.
  • The Group with last – plays the step only if the previous step with the condition on the track was played, making it possible to link steps with a random probability. Either none or all are played.
  • Play N/Skip M – determines step playback in subsequent loops of the pattern. e.g. Play 2/Skip 3 will play the step twice. Then ignore the step in the next 3 loops, and then play twice again, and so on.
  • Skip N/Play M – same as above but starts with skipping N times.
  • When working on a single pattern in Play, the Chance/Action Play/Skip values always trigger steps as it was the first loop iteration. This will work differently when creating chains in the Pattern mode.
6 Likes

@here ready for voting! Thanks for a nice wish :slight_smile:

Also nice if neighbouring tracks could also be linked with chance.
Sample on step 24 on track 6
will play only
when the one on step 24 on track 5 has not.

Or Xor Nor Not logic

1 Like

There’s these conditions like PRE, NEI and 1ST at Elektron;

1ST is true the first time the pattern plays (when looped).
[negative]-1ST is true when 1ST is false. A trig with this trig condition is always active apart from the first time the pattern plays (when looped)

To me, this feature NOT being present is what makes it hard to live with the 128-step Pattern limit.

While I love the Chance feature, I personally want something more controllable/predictable… which requires either a longer Pattern or this feature.

I want both, ideally, but this gets my vote, too!