Change the default volume of audio sample tracks or add a basic mixer

What is the problem?

The synths on the Polyend Play+ have a default volume of -9db, however, the sample tracks have a volume of 0db, when you start using the synth tracks you have to either bump up every synth patch or reduce the sample tracks volume.
When you start increasing the synth tracks to match the sample tracks 0db volume levels there is sometimes distortion occurring because the audio volume is clipping as all tracks are fighting around that 0db level.

What should this feature achieve?

To keep with standard mixing practices, it would make sense for the global project to change the default sample tracks volume from 0db to -9db the same as the Synth tracks or provide a setting in the menu which allows the user to set the track volume globally to a preferred db default level.

If the Play/Play+ had a basic mixer for their sample/synth tracks then this would make it easier to mix tracks when using the device standalone too.

Are there any workarounds?

You can change this manually for each project or save a INIT project, but with regards to sample tracks, you seem to have to have a sample placed on each step of a track, then select all tracks and adjust volume to -9db, if you just select all tracks and adjust the volume and save the project it does not appear to retain the volume adjustment when reopening the project

Any links to related discussions?

Any references to other products?

Most groove boxes have a basic mixer to mix track channels effectively

6 Likes

I’ve grown since that original post and now really appreciate the -9 dB synth default and also agree that everything else now seems too loud.

I think having a default volume in the settings makes sense. Most of the samples in my projects now hover between -12 and -6, which gives ample headroom for dynamic range. When I add new fill to an established project, it’s instantly overpowering.

2 Likes

Thanks for the wish @troxx!

1 Like

@here Thanks for your wish. It’s now ready for voting :slight_smile:

3 Likes