Change a parameter after the sample has begun (trigless trigs)

What is the problem?

You can’t change a parameter after a sample starts.

What do you want to achieve?

Change parameters after a sample has begun through the use of notes that have no sample connected to them (also known as trigless trigs). Something like having a filter open for a long sample would be great for creating ambient textures.

Are there any workarounds?

No.

Any links to related discussions?

Any references to other products?

Elektron boxes (Digitakt, Digitone, Octatrack)

7 Likes

Hi ! Oh yes, that would be massively useful indeed :slight_smile:
It’s already possible in MIDI mode (“no note”).

Another idea would be to have the possibility to have smooth parameters variations and not just sudden jumps.

Would be the perfect device as far as I’m concerned :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@here Thanks for your wish. It’s now ready for voting :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It is possible in midi mode but you need to predefine the no note on steps even if you live record. It would make more sense when you live record automation if the no note were automatically created.

This is not possible?
On the Tracker it is, so weird that it isnt on the Play.

2 Likes

Just got my Play og and plus and indeed it is not possible.
A sample spanning 3 steps cannot be effected on the 2nd and 3rd step.
Wtf, such a bummer. So it’s really a oneshot-machine?

If it’s possible in midimode like @mahen said, is it possible to have a “no sample” also?
(which can hopefully be moved and shortened and stuff like a real note, but then only is a placeholder for an effect on that spot during the already triggered sample)

1 Like

@anon80935742
You wrote: “Something like having a filter open for a long sample would be great for creating ambient textures.”
But isnt that the fact/problem now? That the filter stays open and cant be closed half way through the sample?
Because the parameters of the first step cant be changed on the following steps even though the sample spans more then one step?

Maybe i am wring, but should maybe the wish be formulated different?

1 Like

I think “open” is a verb here. I.e. start it closed and open it while the sample is playing.

The gist of the ask is to be able to automate a setting across the whole length of the sample instead of only allowing changes when triggered.

2 Likes

It’s hard to believe it still has only 26 votes.

as for the automation, there’s another related thread, @kareed:

Yes i get that. But i dont think the chosen words are the best to be clear to everyone what this wish means.
“Having a filter open” sounds static.
“Making a filter open” would be better.
“Getting a filter to open”
“Modulating a filter on subsequent steps after the sample has started”

(How else could there be only 26 votes for it!? Wtf)

Im sorry, could be nitpicking, guess im just frustrated :wink:

1 Like

Agree. That’s feature I was expecting on a 2022 machine!
That and the fact that you cannot loop a sample…

1 Like

New Play user — as of just a couple weeks ago. LOVE it. If I could throw all my votes into one wish, it would be this one. Thanks.

1 Like