A pick & place palette for frequently used samples where each individual sample-slot can be triggered from incoming MIDI Notes that also solves live recording of drum patterns:
Use the (rightmost) 4x8 grid of pads as a ‘palette’ for up to 32 user-selected sample slots (Ableton Drum Rack style) where each slot can be triggered via incoming midi notes with velocity (one note triggers one sample slot). The palette would also allow for fast and intuitive pick & place access to the users favourite samples AND also work as an interface for basic finger drumming on the Play itself.
When live recording is enabled, sample triggers from incoming MIDI-notes (or the Play’s pads) should be recorded to the selected track(s) of a sample-pattern (similar to the implementation of the piano roll). If more samples are played than tracks are selected, the triggers should fall into any selected track that has a free step at the current position. If all tracks are occupied, overwrite the oldest/shortest/most-quiet/…?! event at that position.
UX-Bonus - palette pad-colors that indicate sample type:
Provide users with a hint to the content of each sample slot: filled palette pads could be illuminated with predefined colors that are unique to their corresponding sample folder (e.g. kicks = red, snare = orange, hihat = yellow) for easier orientation.
- Individual samples can not be triggered via MIDI input (only the most recently picked sample can be played chromatically, which is only useful for playing melodies but not for drum sequences).
- Live-recording of drum patterns or fingerdrumming-style performances are not possible (this seems to be a dealbreaker for many people).
Make the Play feel even more immediate as a live performance instrument by implementing:
- Live recording of drum sequences to sample patterns, based on incoming MIDI note-events and the pads on the Play.
- Live fingerdrumming using external MIDI-controllers (e.g. Beatstep, QuNeo, Joue, Akai LPD/MPD etc.)
- Faster pick and place by providing the user with a custom palette of frequently used or favourite samples
- Improvised palette for pick and place (0:45):
- My kind of humour :
- Drumracks in Ableton Live
- Pads in the Instrument View Polyend Tracker
- Novation Circuit Rhythm & Tracks
- almost any other sample based groovebox with live pattern recording… (MPC, Maschine, etc…)