Work step per row / a row keeps its sound / traditional programming mode

A mode in which each row remembers its last placed sample or MIDI note. I know it goes against the Play’s concept of having total freedom of notes and samples in a row, but sometimes when experimenting with patterns it would be nice to have the possibility to place steps in a more traditional way - i.e. all steps placed in a certain row are kicks or snares. Such a mode would remove the need to constantly “pick up” existing sounds.

What is the problem?

Experimenting with different instruments in a beat and switching between them requires a constant “picking up” of sounds by holding existing steps. Due to the lack of different colors in the steps it is easy to lose track of which sounds are on which step - or which instrument was last used in the “work step”.

What do you want to achieve?

A mode in which each row remembers its last placed sample or MIDI note so the user can quickly move between different instruments without having to constantly “pick up” existing sounds from the sequencer.

Are there any workarounds?

No.

Any links to related discussions?

No.

Any references to other products?

Any sequencer with sound-per-row functionality like the Synthstrom Deluge.

2 Likes

@CaptainPikant thanks for the picante wish! :wink: It’s ready for voting…

2 Likes

this classic workflow has its own appeal, it would allow making real quick drafts to work later on :+1:

+1

I’m surprised this hasn’t gotten more votes. It’s frustratingly slow to have to lay out beats one lane at a time and copy/paste from existing steps any time you want to drop an event on a different lane. I understand that the ability to use different samples on the same track expands capability, but this also really hampers the user’s ability to quickly punch in beats across several lanes - which to me is one of the main advantages of having a physical grid.

1 Like