Request for assignable step colors

When Play+ synths are being triggered from sequencer steps, those steps light up with different colors. This is very useful for keeping track of which step is playing what in a very dynamic and potentially freeform sequencer. However, keeping track of external synths is not so easy. Allowing the user to assign colors to midi and usb channels could change this.

What is the problem?

Users may experience difficulty keeping track of multiple external midi instruments.

What do you want to achieve?

Synths on Play+ are denoted by different colors when they are being triggered by the sequencer. Allowing the user to control color assignment (for both internal and external synths) per instrument, midi channel, and usb channel would make it easier to track multiple channels of midi instruments controlled by Play.

Making the Play sequencer easier to interpret would encourage users to make more complex arrangements, no longer bogged down by how to remember which instrument is being controlled by which step.

Are there any workarounds?

Strictly analog: pencil and paper.

Any links to related discussions?

Any references to other products?

Thank you for proposing this wish, @nickcolangelo. There are many other wishes related to custom pad colors (and I have collected them in the description) but none is related to MIDI channels / external synths.

1 Like

@here Thanks for your wish. It’s now ready for voting :slight_smile:

User definable Colors to indicate sounds and channels and patters is a huge visual benefit to workflow and one would think in the overall RGB design ideology…

Without sounding ungrateful… does this really need to be voted for ? …

Can’t you as a team just go: yep dam right! This awesomeness is a ben sure on its way!!:v:

To be fair, you could say the same thing about 80% of the current wishes, which is what makes the wishlist so valuable.

Hope you’re planning to vote on this one!

2 Likes

Speaking of votes, @nickcolangelo, you can (and are expected to) vote your own wishes. Everyone gets 10 votes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love the idea!

With all due respect you might be overgeneralizing this specific feature as one of dozens.

I mean I am sure Polyend are on top of this, their designs are great!

That being said, there are feature that are simply self established/ expected… like mapping of synth parameters/midi, and synth patch stored per pattern … and I would say that the importance of being able to categorize all sounds/channels/patterns per color> raises the flow and UI experience to a higher level!

Sample Slicing (the most popular voting requests) would not fall into this “expected feature” category … yet we all know that it would just be too awesome in this instrument to pass up…

Out of all the dozens of feature requests I don’t think a few forum votes can speak up for what is absolute, quality vs viability devided by resources >these executive decision will always be in the hand of the product team.

there are features that have higher priority than others… then there are a dozen that are just more cream on the cake :wink: … but the big ones are expected :v:… everything else (& excuse my ego) would simply be an oversight.