Use Fill mode only on steps with specific Instrument

What is the problem?

When using a track for multiple instruments (eg several percussive elements, or perhaps a kick and a snare), you often want to adjust only the notes for a particular instrument. However, the current method of selecting notes only allows for selections of a linear range of notes, and while the Fill mode allows for Each in combination with a Step greater than 1, that only works in cases where the interval for a certain sound is consistent across an entire pattern - in other words, it doesn’t work for more advanced syncopation.

What should this feature achieve?

The Fill mode has a way to be more selective about which notes to alter. Here, in addition to Notes, No Notes etc, the “Where?” section should include “Instrument” with a way to select a particular instrument number.

That way you could use Fill to alter only the steps for a particular instrument. This would allow you to eg add a gradual filter sweep of only the snare drum on a track containing more than that sound, without affecting the other sounds of the same track.

Are there any workarounds?

• To manually edit each step, which takes time.
  • To try to keep each sound on separate tracks.

Any links to related discussions?

Any references to other products?

4 Likes

Another great wish @Sineway! Funny enough that it’s not a duplicate, but I created a wish awhile back for the same feature on the Play! Select all steps on a track containing the same sample and/or folder Sadly didn’t get many votes. I am surprised that there’s no similar wish for the Tracker but I did a pretty thorough search and couldn’t find anything. Feel free to flesh out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve fleshed if out now. Feel free to edit it further if it doesn’t seem right.

1 Like

Couldn’t have done a better job myself :slight_smile:

@here Thanks for your wish. It’s now ready for voting :slight_smile:

1 Like