Trim Silence in Sample Editor

Users who make concatenated sample “kits” on the tracker itself need a way to remove the silences in between the sounds in order to save memory.

What is the problem?

The Tracker has limited storage for samples, so it becomes essential to conserve space. Users making concatenated multi-sample “kits” on the tracker itself tend to have gaps of varying lengths between the individual hits in their concatenated multi sample. It would be great if we had an easy way to trim them all out at once in the sample editor.

What do you want to achieve?

One button: no more wasted space.

Are there any workarounds?

Taking the SD card out and doing it on your computer :confused:

Any links to related discussions?

Probably?

Any references to other products?

Many DAWs, editors, etc. It is a common feature.

1 Like

Most definitely! :laughing:

Check out this wish (which already has a good number of votes):

Let me know if that would coincide with your request and if so - go vote - and let me know if i can close this one. :blush:

Yeah it’s related, but Trim Silence is a pretty specific command with a pretty specific use case, especially here.

I agree, cutting can happen anywhere within a sample while triming is for the start and end.

But if you’d have a trim function, you could apply it anywhere you’d like as well.
Let me know if you want to proceed with this or you’d like to put your “weight” on the other wish.
I think both are absolutely valid.

I mean, gun-to-my-head / desert-island scenario: CUT/COPY/PASTE functionality is my Sophie’s choice.

That would sort out a bunch of stuff at once and is hardly a rare function.

The only issue is that it’s kinda hard to tell what’s going on at super low volumes in the Sample Editor’s wave display (which is why the new green zero-crossings is a thing ofc).

A ‘Trim Silence’ command applied to a whole, long sample would trim EACH silent period past maybe 100-150ms (final threshold is debatable, but probably won’t need to be user editable).

This ‘Trim Silence’ command would be especially useful for eliminating waste in those concatenated (multi-sample) “kit” samples people like to make, myself included.

1 Like

… and it would be a quick one/two button press functionality. I agree :muscle:

Let’s continue with this wish then :blush:

If you could summarize all these details, that would be awesome.
Makes it easier for Polyend to scout the wishes. Thankies :heart:

Done!

1 Like

@here Thanks for your wish. It’s now ready for voting :slight_smile: