Cut function in Sample Editor

What is the problem?

It’s not possible to shorten samples in the Sample Editor by cutting parts out of it, it’s only possible to crop the start and ending. This is a problem when project memory is tight and only some short parts of a long sample are needed, e.g. cutting out seconds of silence in a recording.

What do you want to achieve?

Be able to take long samples and cut out segments in the middle to trim it.

This could be achieved i.e. with an Effect in the Sample Editor called Cut which is deleting the selection between Start and End.

Are there any workarounds?

Yes, but they require additional and tedious steps:

• Prepare Samples on an external device
  • Crop multiple instances of a long sample into individual short samples containing the parts of the samples needed → place each of them after each other in Pattern then use ‘Render Selection’.

Any links to related discussions?

Any references to other products?

There’s a cut function in most audio editors/DAWs, like e.g. Audacity, Ableton, FL Studio…

8 Likes

@here thanks for contributing. The wish is open for voting! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

basic! Deeply necessary.

1 Like

@TheLoudest then vote for it? Everyone can vote for up to 10 wishes. :slight_smile:

done!

1 Like

Bump.
When making a drum kit from a drum loop sample there are practically always one or more sounds in the loop that I don’t like and would like to exclude them from slicing. Then when I use random fill I have to edit a pattern afterwards to change steps with unwanted slices in them. The Arp/Random Note/Roll FX also can trigger those sounds and that is way harder to overcome.
Sure, there is the render selection workaround but my God it’s tedious to use.

2 Likes