The Future of Play Plus

Forgot about mute states in the song rows in song mode of electrons!! That is a great and handy feature.

And yes, you’re allowed to One and Only random data each time… there is a wish to make various random features at the same time, please vote, it’s for me the top n°1 wish for Play+

yea itd be cool if track mutes were pattern based

1 Like

The reason this isn’t a thing right now is it is a very resource intensive calculation, because it has to calculate it, and calculate it fast, every step for 16 tracks. If they allowed voting for it then it might be possible to add 1 more but I don’t see it working with 5,6 chance probabilities.

1 Like

Well, thanks for the explanation. Two is more than one, so I hope to see two chances in the play+ future. For me it’s enough with two. Please vote for it! :blush:

1 Like

Spoken like someone that has some experience in this area! It is a hard balance to find, when almost anything is technically possible.

yea even 1 more would be brilliant. 100%

Also I was skimming this too early in the morning, did you mention that the step saves the parameters when you change the sample? Because changing the sample should reset knob parameters.

yea when I select a new empty step and change sample it retains all the filter, envelope etc setting as the previous step.

I may be overlooking something but it appears to be doing that consistently for me.

could it be because I tend to hold down an empty step and then change sample rather than select sample then press the empty step? (I come from Elektron workflow so am sorta stuck in my ways, lol)

that could make sense

I’ll try again after me dinner :stew:

yeah if you hold down the step it places it on the grid, so it keeps the parameters. You just have to select the sample without holding down the step to clear the parameters.

1 Like

ah man that’s great. thanks Mitch :slight_smile:

I’ll get in the habit of it. it’s cool having both options too.

To those of you asking for saving mute/solo states onto patterns:

I know it’s not exactly what you’re asking for. But I think you can almost get there by utilising the variations of a track. Having 16 variations for each track is such a nice feature! (And you don’t get that in the otherwise brilliant sequencer of the Elektron devices.) But 16 variations are – at least for me – also way more than I need. I usually keep (at least) the last variation for each track empty. That way, I can easily mute tracks I don’t want to play on a given pattern, by switching to last variation.

1 Like

ah, I hadn’t thought of that. I personally don’t use variants, rather just copy & edit each pattern separately as a whole.

but as you say, rather than have to delete certain tracks in a pattern to effectively mute em, I could just switch to an empty variant.

interesting. I’m defo gonna do that. cheers 3xm

I use them a lot. It’s a great way to create a, well, variation without losing the original. I also use them often as a sandbox for experimentation: Copy the sequence you have to another variation. Try out an idea. If it works, either just stick to that variation (and have both) or copy it back to the “main” variation.

1 Like

I’ve been focusing on other elements thus far but I think I’m gonna use em more now. been sorta using patterns in that way but actually I can see it’s more fluid with variations :+1:

one thing I’d love to see come to play+ sample section (and this is why I’ve previously wished for a filter envelope) is to in some way be able to modulate the sounds / filter more to make samples less static.

tho sequencing can be extremely deep on play, with parameter locks etc (which is great) samples themselves can sound a little static due to the lack of say filter envelope, pitch envelope, & lfos.

[for example - making acid sounds / laser sounds etc currently you’d have to pre prepare them in a daw etc before hand, which is cumbersome, and they still lack that bit of life modulation would bring]

I must say, I love how play approaches things a little differently to the norm, making for a very enjoyable sequencing / writing experience. so I wonder if the polyend crew have something in mind in this regard. something to modulate samples that isn’t a standard lfo or envelope mod.

that would be very cool.

3 Likes

** modelled Envelope

like a vintage mode setting/value for attack and decay)
great for giving some life
and

**Exponential envelope curvatures
positive or negative is brilliant for sculpting percussion feel/groove …could say it’s a VIP on one shot monophonic tracks (as in natural to the play …

Unfortunately, this might be my last input here… as I think I am going to end up sleeping with the enemy (mc707) :wink:

Best of luck!

different folks I guess. glad you found something you connect with.

must say I love polyend’s ideas. play+ is a bit of a dream machine for me. glitchy idm heaven, lush reverb & real nice sounding synth engines :grin:

Personally, I just want a few basic things to work correctly. Such as the sample folders from the sample pool. Building tracks with certain kinds of samples (hats, snares, etc), specifically to allow the ‘random sample’ feature to trigger them is a thankless task when after a save and restart, the sample folders are gone and it’s just ‘All’, and samples are picked from the entire project instead.

Frankly, it makes the Play+ unusable for it’s purpose. I’m begrudgingly holding out for a firmware update because I think this will offer exactly what I need, but the option to return it is hard to ignore right now.

I don’t think this is working as intended. Sounds like a Bug bug. Can you reproduce it? Have you reported.

1 Like

Aye, reported almost a month ago here:

:cry:

1 Like