Snap to zero algorithm issues

Bug Description

I don’t think this i s more of a bug or little issue, but zero point detection needs polishing (see attached photo)

Reproduction Steps

1. Choose instrument, get into Sample Playback
  2. Zoom in
  3. Tweak sample start position

Occurrence

Sometimes

Found in

• Version: [1.7.0]
  • Build: [561]

Attachments

Hi @PRAYTHEPO , thanks for your report. We are working on improving this feature and mainly fixing the current issues we have

But the behaviour you’re seeing is by current design I’m afraid. If you read description in Snap to zero parameter in Config (and as the name suggests), the marker will “snap to zero” when it’s close to a zero point. In this case (since Start marker is only 3ms away from beginning which I believe to be 0 point) this makes it close enough to “snap” to it. That is my assumption, but please share the project or describe further if you want us to analyse this more. Thanks for your contribution

Here it is. There is two exact same instruments. First one with zero snap out of zero point (if that makes sense) and another with very-very close to zero start position, but not zero by the logic of this algorithm. Just go into Sample Blayback window.

zero snap.zip (130.1 KB)

Hi, thanks for sharing the project and clarifying the issues you’re seeing. I will explain what’s going on here:

Instrument 1
Start marker is close to a zero point and it will snap playback to it. This does not move (visually or functionally) the marker itself, but only plays from the zero point each time sample is triggered / played. This can be even visually seen in the Sample Playback screen that once you play the sample, the playback (represented by red playhead) doesn’t start from the Start marker but from the zero point which was detected close to it. Likewise, if you set Snap to zero = Off, the Start marker will stay in same position and play from this exact position.

Instrument 2
Explanation is simple: digital signal is not continuous and our zero detection algorithm only detects true zero amplitude. Maybe picture below can best describe what’s going on:

Because of screen resolution and continuous representation of the signal (as “analogue”) on the screen it might seem that there are more zero points then there really are. Having more sophisticated method of ramping the values to zero in real-time would degrade performance of the device. Therefore this detection is only here for orientation to help you avoid unnecessary “clicks”, but our advice is always to use your ears and set any values to what sounds best to you.

I hope this explanation is acceptable and I will close the issue as “by design” for now.

Please let me know if anything is unclear or you disagree and I can help further to resolve the issues or questions.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.