Set the starting step of a track

Currently with the length function, you can set how long a track is by defining where the track ends. It would be even better if users would also have the ability to set the step that defines where the track starts.

What is the problem?

Tracks can only start on step 1.

What do you want to achieve?

The ability to start tracks in steps other than 1. There is so much cool stuff you could do with this, especially when you take all the variations you can make on a given track. It can also be very convenient when you are working on a transition and you want to select all tracks and just “loop” steps 12 to 20.

Are there any workarounds?

Move the steps manually, but there is no simple way to do this and it is not practical for quick experimentation.

Any links to related discussions?

Any references to other products?

2 Likes

@dan.lgrnd thank you for your invitation to think. :slight_smile:

Your suggestion sounds a bit like the very popular Tracker wish Looping on parts of a pattern. But yours is about defining starting points per track, right? I wonder whether moving the selected track forward would do the trick. It depends on what you want to achieve musically in the end. It would be useful to have practical examples to explain how this feature would help.

Thanks for your reply! Currently the Move parameter wraps the last step to the first step which is not what I am trying to achieve.

I see so many practical uses for this, especially when it comes to the variations. Having the first variation playing a 64 step track as normal, then another variation that only the 3rd and 4th bar (Steps 32-64). Another that plays Steps 16 to 32.

I think there’s a lot of creative uses too for finding “tracks within your tracks” like steps 9 to 25 might have this killer groove to it, but you would have missed it because you’re always limited to start at step 1.

There are a few examples that I came up with.

1 Like

Use this all the time … highly versatile option to have … for a number of creative reasons…

Then… go for it and start a draft wish? Or we can turn this topic into one.

Yeah that would be great if we could turn this into a draft. Cheers!

1 Like

Done. You (and anyone else) can wiki edit the first post now.

1 Like

@dan.lgrnd just checking whether you plan to edit the description. If not, I can give it a shot.

@here Thanks for your wish. It’s now ready for voting :slight_smile:

1 Like