Pattern Lock / Protection

It would be useful to have a way to protect/lock a pattern from any unwanted changes, while still allowing to copy from this pattern to new patterns.

What is the problem?

It is a common approach to work on one or maybe a handful of patterns, that can be considered “master patterns”. Where you build out the basics structure and melodic progression of a track.

You then maybe copy from these patterns to new patterns in Song Mode and start building out your track. This offers a fast approach to creating entire tracks.

However, when working in Song Mode you may accidentally copy content over your “master” patterns. and if you aren’t careful you might not be able to Undo those changes.

What do you want to achieve?

In order to prevent this from happening it would be helpful if we could “lock” or “protect” patterns from any edits. While still mainting the possibility to copy from them to new patterns.

Are there any workarounds?

Remember the patterns you consider your “masters” and make sure you don’t accidentally copy over them.

Any links to related discussions?

Any references to other products?

SP404 can protect tracks as far as I know, but for the tracker, making it so easy and fast, the risk of screwing up is higher.

5 Likes

Great wish! So essentially a pattern protection across all screens/modes, so that a pattern can’t be changed in any way, until you unlock it again. Yes?

Yes, in no circumstance the pattern that is protected should be altered. Pressing the record button in track view might show a message “pattern protected”, or in song mode, using that pattern will show a little lock icon next to it, knowing it is a protected pattern. That way it is also apparent that those are master patterns to not be altered again. It can also be used to “freeze” parts of the song so they can’t accidentally change.

I would even go as far that the pattern length of a protected pattern can’t be changed, but since that is not destructive (notes still remain), it’s not a big deal if it does…

I’ve taken the liberty to clean up your wish to make a bit more concise and to the point. I really like this one! You definitely got my vote! :heart:

Thank you! I hope it gets implemented. :+1:

@here Thanks for your wish. It’s now ready for voting :slight_smile:

1 Like