Jump to pattern FX - creating Song Mode/ Pattern Mode loop regions

Loop regions are very handy for live performance,

What is the problem?

The tracker doesn’t have a way to loop multiple patterns in song mode. Very handy feature with live performance. Could pair well with bouncing between song and performance screens.

What do you want to achieve?

Having a Jump command to bounce between song patterns in song mode. For example you have a command that jumps to pattern 3 on the 5th pattern and this will continually loop between 3 and 5 untill you select pattern 6 to continue the song.

Are there any workarounds?

Keep loop regions within 128 steps and loop play in song mode

Any links to related discussions?

Any references to other products?

Famitracker - Bxx: Jump to pattern xx
LSDj/ Dirtywave M8 - leaving space in the song mode will goto the top of the chain

Maybe later add a jump to step FX, mixed with the random value FX for some generative goodness.

1 Like

Hey @Aisjam , is this essentially the same as the following wish?

the last line “jump to step FX” sounds more like that wish. This would be able to jump to any pattern region in song mode. Looking to get those LSDj Loop regions when you leave a gap in the song screen

Ah, the word “multiple” skipped my brain apparently! You are right :heart:

@here Thanks for your wish. It’s now ready for voting :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have come back to this and added my vote, especially as i wished this was possible multiple times now :laughing:

This was such an integral part of song/pattern management on the Amiga back in the days (Protracker in my case). I would love to see this at some point.

I’ll add some food for thought and add two excellent videos explaining how this used to work on the Amiga:

And let’s not forget the Patternloop Command E6 (video is timestamped accordingly):

The combo of those 3 commands was extremely powerful and has created some of the most oustanding creations in tracker history.

Btw, i can recommend all of those videos from that channel to tracker enthusiasts.

1 Like

This is something I relied upon when I was using amigas. Many times I want a sample to repeat in a loop but not be re-triggered in the sequence. Let’s say I have two long samples of different lengths. I have them triggered in two tracks and I have made the sequence length as long as I can. Even though the samples are set on loop, when the sequence repeats they will be restarted because of the note triggers at the beginning of the sequence. If there was a way to control via effect what the next step should be I could skip the first couple of steps and thereby continue sample playback without re-triggering it. There would be continuous playback of looping samples until I switch to the next pattern. Almost every project I built on an amiga had something like this going on. I think this is something that would free a composer from the constraints of a ridged pattern framework and introduces a different way of imagining and executing sequences.

well you better put a vote here then :wink:

2 Likes