Editing a track in multiple patterns

Users would like to have an option to change parameters in a track in all patterns.

What is the problem?

Changing any parameter of a sample or a MIDI note in a project with multiple patterns tuns into tedious manual labor for the user because they are not able to apply these changes to all patterns.
For example - after setting up a project with multiple patterns a user wants to change the kick that is used in each pattern. The user would have to go into each pattern and change the kick in each of them. Same would apply for for delay, overdrive or sample length in that track.

What do you want to achieve?

Apply changes in one track to the same track in multiple patterns, all at once.

This could be achieved usingPattern mode:
1, Select a track by pressing shift and select function pad
2. Change parameters for this track
3. The changes apply globally in all patterns for this track (a possibility could be to allow the user to select the patterns where the change should be made.)

Nice to have: the select function pad blinks showing that all patterns will be edited

Are there any workarounds?

Changing the parameters in each track manually
Or
Copy-pasting the track from one patterns to all other

Any links to related discussions?

Any references to other products?

None

1 Like

Thank you @sheynkler87, this wish points to a clear problem. I bet the solution is hard to solve UX-wise. In the solution you propose, what would happen if my project has i.e. a very different Track 1 and then I edit Step 1 - Track 1 it for all tracks. It would edit that step in all patterns, and maybe I just wanted to change some patterns, not all.

Maybe there could be a way to select tracks/pads and also the patterns that should receive this change (not selecting any pattern changes all patterns?) But, yeah, UX-wise this isn’t easy to discover and probably not easy to use. Then again it’s an advanced feature for people that probably have spent many hours with their device and/or know that there is a manual explaining features and/or watches video tutorials. :slight_smile:

Are you implying there is another solution for my problem somewhere in the manual?

Well you’ve got to have some limitations. I think it’s a good compromise.

No no, sorry for the misunderstanding. I was just trying to say that editing the same step in multiple patterns in one go is a use case for semi-advanced users, and it is ok if it’s not super-evident.

I think it’s a good compromise.

Sure. Let’s see what the Polyend team thinks.

1 Like

I’m adding Possibility to select and remember different tracks and variations in patterns view to related (a wish that welcomes votes).

@sheynkler87 Thanks for your contribution. Unfortunately, we have to decline your wish because we would hit performance limits with an implementation like this one.

:slight_smile: However, we have some other design ideas that should at least partially solve this use case in the future.

4 Likes

No problem. I get it.

And those ideas are? And when can we expect to see them in what i assume would be a firmware update?

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.