Convert samples to mono

It would be useful to add an effect for turning stereo samples to mono, for example to remove unwanted stereo information from basses and drum hits, undo overzealous stereo processing in breakbeats or separate out instruments in old jazz recordings.

Once 1.1 and the rumored stereo recording hits this will be an even more desirable feature to have.

What is the problem?

There is currently no way to turn stereo samples loaded from the SD card to mono.

What do you want to achieve?

Turn stereo samples (loaded from the SD card) to mono. Preferably providing the same options the MPC does: left channel only, right channel only or left and right channel combined.

Are there any workarounds?

No, unless you count doing it before you store samples to the SD card,

Any links to related discussions?

This asks to allow importing stereo samples as two mono samples. The result would be a workaround for the feature requested here.

Any references to other products?

MPCs allow you to choose between left channel only, right channel only or left and right channel combined.

SP 404 allows turning stereo samples to mono by selecting either the left channel or the right channel.

2 Likes

Thanks for the wish @rhmtts and a big thanks for following the best practices :clap:

@here Thanks for your contribution, the wish is now ready for voting! :slight_smile:

I wanted to make a wish like this for Play Plus.
I use Bitwig which has no way of exporting as monofile.
An option to import left, right or summed mono in addition to stereo would be great to save memoryspace.

Ah, yes, it would also save memory space. Didn’t think about that :slight_smile:

My goal was to get better sound.

Maybe a mid or side mono-izer would be good then :grin:

I’m sure you are aware that you could just take that export and render it down to mono in something like Audicity or Ocenaudio (which both are free). If you are on Windows i can also recommend FileConverter, if you are looking for a quick solution.