Configurable LFO retrigger in Instrument Parameters

Ability to configure the LFO retrigger behaviour

What is the problem?

There is no way to define LFO retrigger behaviour. This can lead to confusion about which part of an LFO cycle is expected when, for different instruments.

This can be particularly confusing when using an LFO to timestretch, but a sample is triggered on a step number that is not a multiple of the LFO period.

What do you want to achieve?

On the second Instrument Paramaters screen, choose whether each LFO retriggers at the beginning of each pattern, on each note start, or is free-running (i.e. will rotate past both notes and pattern boundaries).

Are there any workarounds?

Not really - can emulate note-retrigger by resampling with a note at the beginning of a pattern, but this doesn’t work for panning.

Any links to related discussions?

Any references to other products?

Most other synths on the market

9 Likes

Hey @andybard, i took the liberty and reworded your request a bit. Hope that is still ok?

looks good to me, thanks!

1 Like

@here Thanks for your wish. It’s now ready for voting :slight_smile:

1 Like

yup, also few more LFO wave shapes would be more then welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Happy to see this wish as I was in the middle of writing one up exactly for this. In synthesis I often use squarewave LFOs to modulate the volume. When the LFO retriggers from note-on or a new step, anything slower than the tempo never gets the chance to hit the lower half of the waveshape.

If the LFO didn’t retrigger, it could be interesting to see an FX to retrigger the LFO thus allowing the user to freely decide when and where the LFO retriggers. Just a thought :slight_smile:

That is a fab idea. Honestly tho I’m genuinely suprised at the lfo being locked to key trigger. Not had my Tracker long, finding it immediately rules out a lot of tricks I use to keep sounds evolving and interesting.

1 Like

Without this or LFO phase the LFOs tend to run very similarly - all starting at zero then going up etc