Chip : chiptune oldschool soundchip based synth engine for Play+... and friends

As inspiring as the new synth engines are, many users backgrounds comes from LSDj and Famitracker experimenting with the Polyend Friends sampling some of these sounds.

It would be nice to see a bit crushed oscillator source with a very crunchy filter to pay homage to the oldschool chips

What is the problem?

Tracker/ Polyend users want chippy dippy tunes

What do you want to achieve?

an oscillator that pays homage to the C64, NES, GAMEBOY DMG and other 4-8bit sound chips.

duty cycle square wave - 75% 50% 25% 12.5%
pulse width square wave
saw and ramp wave
noise - white and buzz(nes)
NES Triangle - its the best triangle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhccsEK8S_Y

Are there any workarounds?

Sampling the oscillators and building wavetables around them.

Sidenotes

This eurorack module is a great example of a nice Chiptune generator. It also happens to be Open Source :slight_smile:

https://pichenettes.github.io/mutable-instruments-documentation/modules/edges/manual/

4 Likes

Thanks for this excellent wish @Aisjam!
I took the liberty to remove some of the first-person elements as recommended in Writing a good feature request. I hope I kept your original idea and

I would suggest (for the moment) to restrict this request to the Play+ which we already know has the capability of hosting synth engines. There are many requests already asking for the current synths to be implemented in the Tracker/Mini, and my guess is to wait to see what Polyend have to say about those request before requesting additional synths.

I would hate to see this rejected because it could potentially be implemented in the Play+ but not with the other products you tagged it in.

yes… that makes it sounds like lots of people want this, not just me :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Wow wow this would be great!! You will have my vote!

The great benefit of chiptune synth engines is that they require very very little resources :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

…so this could be a great way to get a bit of synthesis on the regular Play :heart_eyes: …maybe more of an easter-egg, but a useful one for sure.