Waveform view with Sample Start and End

Add a background visual of a samples waveform that shows the start and end point within the sample. When a user adjusts the sample it zooms into the sample incrementally as the start and end points get closer together, and zooms out as they get farther apart. Note it wouldn’t update depending on the sample being played, and instead would only display the waveform if the Play isn’t playing. We would be able to play the sound to adjust using the knob and pressing the step preview.

What is the problem?

Some samples need to be clipped, or adjusted to specific points in the waveform when shaping the sound on device.

What do you want to achieve?

The goal is to be able to edit start and end points with more accuracy on device to work alongside the existing sound shaping functionality.

Are there any workarounds?

You can edit the sample externally, but then you aren’t adjusting it based on your parameter settings for filter cutoff, overdrive, bitdepth, etc. that have altered your sample in a way where you want to be able to move the sample start and end to fix any issues that crop up with clipping, etc.

Any links to related discussions?

Not that I’m aware of.

Any references to other products?

I think something similar to the Tracker’s sample editor screen, but without all the bells and whistles.

8 Likes

Was discussed somewhere, but couldn’t find it. Must have feature for sure.

Yeah. I tried to search for it, but I couldn’t find it either. I want to emphasize that I don’t want the Tracker Sample Editor. Keep it basic.

Of course, just some visual representation instead of numbers (or along with).

I don’t remember any discussion about visualizing waveforms on the play. The closes discussion that comes to mind is An ADSR amp envelope for audio samples.

@here Thanks for your wish. It’s now ready for voting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Suprized this was not standard to begin with (thought it was a LCD limitation),

As a forcast in a company; this is not just for the conviniance and visual aid, but also for the attraction this brings in on protential sales volumes…

@RealTinyPenguin Do you mean to use the display as this screen, or the pad grid as the ‘screen’, like the Deluge does for sample editing? Genuinely curious, because you really could do either in this case. I have both the Tracker and the Deluge, and I like the Tracker’s sample editor, but it has that huge screen. I don’t think sample editing would be that fun on the Play’s smaller screen. Maybe the button grid would be better? Just throwing it out there.

1 Like

I‘d say that Play+‘s display is big enough for a proper waveform visualization (->sample editing).
I think the displays of Elektron’s Octatrack and Digitakt are even smaller and sample editing works fine. The SP404 display isn’t that big either.
Digitakt btw:
Firmware1.50 added sample slice, stretch and repitch… exactly what I’d like to see in a future Play+ update.
I hope Polyend doesn‘t hold back better sample editing/slicing functions for the Play+ because it would interfere with the Tracker… :japanese_ogre:

3 Likes