The Play+ loads faster than the Play (Thanks, Polyend)

Just a quick word of appreciation for the Polyend team.

I just received my Play upgrade to the Play+, and I’m happy to report the samples seem to load about twice as fast.

Back in January of 2023 I had created the Load sample packs faster on the Play post to explore if the original Play could be made to load faster than about 0.4 MB/s. That wish was closed a month later, arguing about “hardware limitations”.

Now I don’t have the Play anymore, but I can load the same sample pack I had performed my test with back then, the “Tech House Pack” (27.5 MB):

• loads in 65 seconds on the Play, at a rate of about 0.4 MB/s.
  • loads in about 30 seconds on the Play+.

Thanks Polyend, and thanks for the full-color 46 pages “Polyend Play+ Essentials” manual, that’s a nice addition too.

6 Likes

Interesting, I have the 2 machines… I’ll try. In my experience the SD Card size helps a lot to ameliorate the overall performance…

Thanks, I’d be curious to know. You mean the larger, the faster, or the opposite?

As for the speed boost, this was not exactly news, (most) people who upgraded received an email saying: “Include the microSD card. SD Card - Play+ has a new card optimized for faster loading, do not use the old SD cards.”. I just wanted to find out how much faster…

Sorry I was not so clear. I mean: larger (bigger in size SD CARDS, I use a 128 gb one) ensure a better overall experience. Source: daily machine usage. Measured? No, just empiric observation. Hope this helps.

Have a look here: Almost full SD card causes Volume Knob and Memory Lag - #10 by acaposotta

Just got my Play+ tonight and I can confirm that there is a very noticeable difference when loading sample packs and/or projects.

2 Likes

Just bought the following after hearing someone got faster load times with this card on the OG Play: SanDisk 64GB Extreme microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - Up to 170MB/s, C10, U3, V30, 4K, 5K, A2, Micro SD Card - SDSQXAH-064G-GN6MA

The Play + stock SD card loaded 28 seconds with Moms80s pack
The Play + SanDisk card loaded 40-48 seconds on several runs with same pack. Formatted to FAT32.

In my unscientific testing, stock Polyend SD is the more extreme.