The display on my Play+ is loose

Edit: updated to correct video link

I bought it in “Mint” condition off Reverb. Am sending back and will probably buy a new one. Here’s a video of me showing it jiggle around. https://youtube.com/shorts/IC_XrQQ_qX0

Check yours!

I hope it’s not a QC or manufacturing issue affecting anyone else.

The screen on my Play does this (bought new).
Not an issue for me. I don’t touch the screen during use.

I ain’t ever touching the screen on my lovely new Play+ to even check. :sweat_smile:

I must say tho, the build on the play+ in general is very nice imo. encoders are rock solid. it feels very well put together.

hope your screen gets sorted.

1 Like

All screens have a little wobble, they tend to break less seated this way, since it isn’t a touch screen. I think I’ve seen 1 cracked Play screen, maybe 2, in 2 years.

1 Like

I came to the forum specifically to ask about this, albeit about a Play not Play+. Is it normal, typical, and accepted on Play units? It was quite a surprise and quite concerning when I went to (gently) rub a smudge from the screen and it moved…

I have and have had lots of devices with such displays/screens and this is the first I’ve ever had that wobbles or moves like this. Is it really not a problem? It feels like I’ll wipe a mark or some dust off it one day and it will become disconnected and just stop working. :face_in_clouds:

Honestly it really isn’t a problem, the screen’s ribbon connector is not prone to disconnection.

It is engineered this way intentionally. You can crack it like any screen of course but the wobble actually makes it crack less on an indirect hit than something like your iPhone or a device with a screen with no movement, because there is some give to it. There is also a little pad in there on the back to help with this. Does that make sense?

I agree the build quality was otherwise very nice on my Play+ (I sent it back).

Are you not at all concerned that it jiggles?

I wish I had known this before I sent mine back.

Still, it seems like a strange design choice, to let it jiggle in order to prevent breaking? Seems counterintuitive.

To me, as a buyer, it was concerning enough for me to return mine. I literally thought something had been knocked loose or it had a manufacturing defect.

mine doesn’t, or at least it doesn’t look like it does. I have no need to press it sooo, I won’t. I touched it lightly earlier n it didn’t move. no issues here

No. It’s not like it rattles or causes the issues with anything.

Alrighty. I ordered another Play+, now that I know that the display is designed to be loose. I still don’t get it, but I accept it :sweat_smile: Can’t NOT have this awesome 'box! Love the workflow… feels like the best of everything to me. Really excited about future improvements :star_struck:

3 Likes

Sure enough mine has the slightest amount of wiggle room to it. I’m amazed by this conversation as I would have never noticed this, but it also shows the high value that Backstage provides as a social platform to express concerns, interact with the Polyend team, and get honest answers from your questions.

As others have said, the build quality of Polyend products are fantastic. The torque on the endless encoders on the Play+ are the closest to “perfect” that I’ve had the pleasure to interact with. The mechanical switches are super fun to interact with on the Play/+ but I think you learn to appreciate these mechanical buttons if you’ve had years interacting with the OG Polyend Tracker.

4 Likes

I received my second Play+ today. Bought used from a seller on Sweetwater’s used gear area. (Overall great experience BTW.)

The display on this particular Play+ is MUCH less loose than my previous one. It’s almost non-existent on this new-to-me one.

Thought I’d report that, because it makes me wonder whether my previous one actually was damaged in some way… there was a lot more ‘play’ in it (pun intended).

1 Like

Yes, haven’t had many issues overall. I have an OG Polyend Tracker, Tracker Mini, and now Play+ (again). Overall, I’m happy enough with the build quality of all my Polyend products (except my previous Play+ display)

It seems like a lot of people don’t understand the difference between build quality VS design/component choices.

Personally, I don’t care for how the buttons on the Tracker Mini feel, but it’s not a build quality issues. It’s an issue of component choices and design. The power button is kinda hard to push, because it was designed to be flush or recessed into the housing… not a build quality issue. (That being said, I think it’s still my favorite portable box like, ever… got to congratulate and thank some of the team in person at NAMM 2023)

I’ve had a few encoder hiccups on my OG Tracker’s jog wheel. Nothing major, and nothing that can’t easily be repaired or cleaned. In a nutshell, these are not issues that are unique to Polyend in any way.

I don’t have a ton of experience with many other encoders, but I do agree these are delicious to use!

Yes, this. My OG PT was the first thing I had with mechanical switches, and I still love them. Then the Dirtywave M8, now and the Play+. They’re great overall, if somewhat a bit noisy to use in public! (Makes it easier to find appreciation for the Tracker Mini’s buttons : )

1 Like