Superbooth --- the rest

After three full days of event and so many (but so many) booths and conversations, I’m thankful I am not a journalist having to write a story (I used to be one).

There are probably as many Superbooths as visitors. In my case… I am interested in products offered by companies you can have a conversation with. Like Polyend (meeting the team was of course the main highlight). Like other small companies from Eastern Europe producing very interesting and rather experimental/innovative devices.

If money shows where the interest in the end goes, my winner of the event is https://electra.one/, which reopened orders two days ago. I’m looking forward to its deep Bitwig integrationmand I’m curious with which kind of plugins its small but growing developer communiry will come up with.

Other devices that I wanted to touch and hear their creators talk about were (in no specific order)

There was also this interesting idea about meeting synth YouTubers. It was fun to meet in person people I have spent so much time “with” (watching their videos) like the Bad Gear guy, Mattias Holmgren, the Mid-life Synthesist (from Chile, warm conversation in Spanish), and others.

Very special mentions to the conversations (interesting and about nothing specific) in person for the first time with people from the Bitwig and Dreadbox teams.

What I did not cover but it’s just me. I’m not interested in companies with big marketing budgets (I did check the KORG acoustic prototype because protos will always be protos, and they gave an interesting engineering demo). I’m not into modular, so this cuts… what, most of half of the surface? I’m not into synths with keyboards either (I spent my money in a very good keyboard controller instead). Mixers and effects devices trigger my GAS so I approach them like Ulysses did with the mermaids. :merperson:

4 Likes

Do you have any contact info or a URL for this product? I did a google search (Colin Track8) but nothing relevant came up. Would love to read further into this device!

2 Likes

nice writeup from your perspective. glad you had a good time! :heart:
hope to catch you and the polyend team on the next one. :v:

1 Like
  1. OXI is a great instrument and the company is too! Fantastic community.
  2. Midlife is a genuine dude. Part his Patreon community.

Appreciate your lens and perspective on the show!

1 Like

Unsung hero of the event for me was the Cong Burn Strokes app. I think Superbooth is quite hardware-centric so software felt a bit like they’d been parked out in a back room, BUT… Strokes is a phenomenal app that’s available as a VST and as an iOS app.

Incredible means to create rich textured music in it.

I made this within an hour of firing it up!

3 Likes

Most probably not new but… I was triaging the stuff I had collected at the event (I like paper) and I found something I had forgotten to mention: Synthet, a vintage synthesizer card game. All the cards seem to be available on their website if you’re curious.

I didn’t see the card deck itself, just a basic brochure by Sinee somewhere:

The cards are in English, and you can find other retailers selling them by searching for “sinee synthet”.

1 Like