Soundfont support with disk streaming

Soundfonts are an old school sampler format from the days of trackers, before VSTs and computers with lots of RAM were popular. One may easily obtain sound fonts of all classic synths online, and they are often copyright free for any and all use.

What is the problem?

Users want more synth sounds, as well as other instrument sounds.

What do you want to achieve?

Soundfont support with disk streaming from the micro SD card.

Are there any workarounds?

Using external instruments.

Any links to related discussions?

No.

Any references to other products?

Sforzando is a free Soundfont player from Plogue, there are many others. It is a largely forgotten format as NI and EastWest are all into their own walled gardens. Bringing it back would definitely be a hit in the tracker community.

2 Likes

I have nothing to add, fully support this idea :blush: :heart:

@thephatconductor Thanks for your contribution. Unfortunately, we have to decline your wish because of technical limitations.

1 Like

surely there is a way. sound fonts are soooo old school!

I wonder which is more technically impossible to implement… integrating the soundfont format or streaming from the SD card in general…

that is (or “was”…) a very good suggestion in any case
but the soundfont format, although old, was already quite complex for its time…
With its multi-layer samples, key switching and so on.

regarding streaming from SD card, this may simply be a hardware limitation.
because I don’t know if it’s my unit or what but this player seems very slow to me…
just browsing
it takes a while to open full folders (100 items) :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

There’s gotta be a way… Even if they’re super rudimentary and not all layered etc.

It would be SO COOL!

Please let’s enjoy how lucky we are of having a wishlist where anyone can propose anything to the developers and get an official answer. In this case, an answer within hours! Do you know any other music gear manufacturer with more than two employees that does this? :slight_smile:

If the developers say no, then it’s no. If we start arguing with their communicated decisions, then a natural reaction could be what 99,9% of music gear manufacturers do, which is to not communicate anything.

2 Likes

a fair point!

I’m good buddies with Mitch and they probably know who I am and not to take it personally or whatever (I’m a goofball IRL and almost never ever get mad)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.