Sample loading UI: visual changes first, then preview

What is the problem?

When you hold one of the buttons and scroll samples with the encoder, you hear a sample first and only when the preview is finished screen shows the sample’s name you just played. It’s just confusing as you don’t see the name first. Visually it perceives as a lag.

What do you want to achieve?

See a name of playing sample and then hear it, in this order.

Are there any workarounds?

Any links to related discussions?

Any references to other products?

2 Likes

Do you mean here?

Menu > Samples > Load Files or Folders > ...

The pressing one of the left buttons while you scroll the list with the knob?

If this is what you mean, I notice a bit of delay but that’s it. The highlighted name jumps to the sample playing just after a few milliseconds, before the sample ends. This is easier to see with longer samples.

In any case, this looks like a usability glitch more than a feature request, and I think it a better candidate for a #bug.

Yep, that menu.

When you scroll lots of samples one by one, you don’t always wait till the end of a sample and move to the next one, so the fact that you see names after the playback is finished (doesn’t matter how small the lag is) means that you may hear many of them with no visual feedback and the only name you’ll see is the last one. I guess, it’s not a bug, but the way its code structured. For now, it plays first, shows later and it’s not convenient. However, whatever works for the forum.

2 Likes

Just to clarify: …the only name you’ll see is the last one when the playback is finished while only the first name will be shown/highlighted during all the listening in that folder. It perceived like a frozen/hanging UI when you scroll’n’play samples (scrolling via the encoder + pressed button).

Hi @ambivalence , thanks for your wish. We feel this is more of a Bug than a Wishlist topic. Do you still experience such issues? If so, does it happen when previewing from SD card (samples which aren’t loaded yet) or when previewing from Sample Pool? We definitely will keep current design as audio will always have higher priority than UI: meaning first you will hear sound and then see the change on UI. Other way around would look nice indeed, but could cause audible glitches, lagging/stretching of audio and similar noise issues. Let us know what your experience is please. Thanks for your support!

I always noticed it while browsing samples from SD card. Don’t remember about the sample pool, but it’s easy to check: just hold the preview button (one of the two?) and use the left encoder.

I don’t know if it will cause any glitches, but it just doesn’t happen with other devices. Maybe the UI refresh time won’t be that noticeable, if it goes first? After all, it just needs to show the sample name in the folder before playback. Always seemed instant to me.

@ambivalence Thanks for your contribution. Unfortunately, we have to decline your wish because of technical limitations :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.