Polyend Play: 1.4 Firmware Update

We’re announcing the official Polyend Play 1.4 firmware update.

New features:

1. Added Piano Roll for chord and melody visualization:
  • Transforms the sequencer grid into a piano roll where notes can be selected in rows and placed on the corresponding step in MIDI and Audio modes.
  • To enter the piano roll select multiple tracks and hold down the view button. Selected tracks must have the same length, speed and swing parameters.
  • Each row in Piano Roll represents a note of the selected scale with root note(s) highlighted in pink.
  • The number of notes that can be activated on a grid column is equal to the number of selected tracks
  • Tap Shift quickly to select or deselect all active steps
  • Variations and Step Pages in Piano Roll are synchronized for all selected tracks. (If one piano roll track changed to 64 steps, all tracks in the piano roll will be 64 steps.)
  • The length of a MIDI step is reflected on the Piano Roll grid.
  1. Fill Mode added to MIDI Tracks
  • New config menu to control how MIDI beat fills work. Menu > Settings > Fill Config
  1. Added Melody Fills: Chord and Bass.

2. New MIDI Chord inversions:

• Accessible by pressing Shift while turning the Chord Knob (for all chords except Power 4th/5th)
  1. New smart melody randomizer Fill Type: Random +
  • New randomization algorithm with randomized notes
  1. Knob parameters for work steps are now saved when switching between MIDI and Audio

FIXES

Wrong transients between Audio Steps with different Volumes
Filter was not being applied to the first delay tap*
Wrong notes in Power 4th/5th and Augmented MIDI Chords**

*This will change the sound of repeats on previous projects.
**This will change the voicing of Power and Augmented MIDI Chords on previous projects.

The firmware update file and also additional SD content are available here.

=================================
How to install Play 1.4.0 and get access to all new features:

1. Download and extract:
    a. Firmware_Polyend_Play_v1.4.0.zip
    b. BeatAndMelodyFills.zip
  2. Important: Delete the existing BeatFills folder from your Play SD card
  3. Copy the unzipped BeatFills and MelodyFills folders to the SD card and place both folders in the root directory
  4. Copy the .ppf firmware file to your Play SD card > Firmware folder
  5. In Play navigate to Settings > Firmware > Update Firmware > .ppf file
  6. Click the encoder and confirm with Yes

Note: The old BeatFill folder will not work with MIDI beat fills, the new one must be copied to the SD card for MIDI beat fills. Make sure to copy both the Beat Fill and Melody Fill folders.

=================================

12 Likes

Check out the Dave Hilowitz video featuring the Piano Roll as well!

3 Likes

Really enjoying the new fill modes. Nicely done.

Do custom beat fill modes need to be rebuilt to take advantage of midi?

I’m ask, as I didn’t install the beat fill folder per directions and noticed beat fill wasn’t working in midi mode. When installed the beat fills from 1.4, it did. I had some custom beat fills but was no loss to overwrite them.

Thank you for the update.

Thank you for the lovely piano roll update. Messing around with it right now. Is there a way to preview the notes you’re hitting/selecting in piano roll? The only way I can hear them is when the transport is on. Same thing in either MIDI or sample view.

I’m excited for this update!

Been waiting for this to be official :slight_smile:

When 1.4 will be available for download?

@omi.makarenko it is available already:

I suppose the new Folder Bass and Synth must be in the same sample folder so that the new MelodyFill works correctly?

@undiagnosed66 , instruction is there on website :slight_smile:

1. Download and extract BeatAndMelody.zip
    a. Polyend_Play_Firmware_v1.4.0.zip
    b. BeatAndMelodyFills.zip
  2. Delete the existing BeatFills folder from your Play SD card
  3. Copy the unzipped BeatFills and MelodyFills folders to the SD card
  4. Copy the .ppf firmware file to your Play SD card > Firmware folder
  5. In Play navigate to Settings > Firmware > Update Firmware > .ppf file
  6. Click the encoder and confirm with Yes

Cheers!

Thank you for the superb updates !!
Do you guys&gals think I could open a wishlist regarding chords sequencing in MIDI modes ?

I wish one could use the piano roll with a SINGLE track selected and build chords. Only “valid” chords could then be selected and only use a single step.
(because MIDI mode allows chords on a single step but that would be great to have them visible in the piano roll as distinct notes)

Also, related, would be great if chords input by an external keyboard in MIDI mode could be identified a chords and sequenced in single steps – also, when valid midi chords are detected.

Thanks for the update :slight_smile: Followed the procedure but a Folder named Synth must be included in order to make the Bass and Chord working or I get a Synth not found, not a real problem as long as I know it needs it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe this is the same as A chord mode for audio samples, declined because of technical limitations.

Many thanks for 1.4 :slight_smile:
Do you plan to update the manual with the new features and when?
I am not sure how to name to folders to use Chords&Bass fill properly…
Best,

Yeah we’ll get the manual updated this week, will have detailed instructions on this. But while you wait, the steps are similar with the following requirements:

Chord tracks populate 4 tracks

they are 64 steps long so be sure to turn that on before populating

if you select 5th track you can have a chord and bass combo

the kit MUST have a Synth and Bass folder

with names “Synth” and “Bass”

7 Likes

Exactly the details I needed, thank you !! :+1:

Video on Piano Roll. To clear up some confusion - The tracks are still monophonic but the Piano roll works with Multiple tracks Polyphonically.

4 Likes

I think a few of the kits don’t have a synth folder. Lofi for instance. I was super confused. Does it just need synth in the name like with the other folders?