Play Plus - Switching Play projects stops USB audio in Ableton

Bug Description

I was able to replicate this issue 100% of the time, but when I change projects while streaming the Play+ main stereo outs over USB into an audio channel in Ableton Live Suite 11.3.13 - I have to completely reboot the Play+ until audio plays again over USB. It plays fine as long as I stay within a project, but the moment I load something else - it’s nothing but silence until I power cycle it. I’ve included a screen shot of the settings being used (nothing complicated: streaming main outs of Play+ via USB into an audio channel in Ableton).

Reproduction Steps

1. In Ableton: Configure Play+ as Audio Input Device in Ableton’s settings, with 1/2 being set as stereo outs (image attached for reference). Proceed to configure Play+ in Ableton’s MIDI I/O settings for Track and Sync (to make sure the Play+ starts when Ableton starts playing)
  2. On Play +, configure in MIDI Settings: Clock In > MIDI In USB, Transport In > MIDI In USB
  3. Proceed using Play+ as normal, then try to load a different project after saving. Upon loading, the Play+ will still respond to start/stop from Ableton, but no audio will be transmitted over USB until power cycling.

Occurrence

Always

Found in

• Version: 1.0.1
  • Build: 1405
  • Ableton Live Suite: 11.3.13

Attachments

@michaelmauve welcome to Backstage and thank you very much for reporting a problem. I have moved it to Bug and added the template. Can you or anyone else experiencing this problem describe it following the template, please?

There are several ongoing discussions related to Ableton (you can use the search to find them) and it would be useful to identify possible bugs one by one as you have done here.

No problem, just updated the post, let me know if anything else is needed

1 Like

Hello @michaelmauve, sorry to hear you’re having problems with our product. To investigate this I would like to get a little bit extra info from you. :slight_smile:

• Could you provide us with the hardware specs of your computer?

• Which OS version are you using?

• And with changing projects, do you mean loading a new Liveset while Play+ is streaming to your computer? Or opening a new project on Play+?

Hi Hans

• 2023 16" MacBook Pro, M2 Max w/ 32GB
  • macOS Sonoma 14.0 (14.3 also showed the same issue)
  • Nothing changes within Ableton, this only occurs while switching projects within the Play+ while its the primary input device for Ableton as shown in my original post. I often like to record ideas from different Play+ projects into the same Ableton project, but switching projects on the Play+ kills the USB audio and requires rebooting it. It’s almost as though loading a new project re-initializes the audio in a way that disconnects it from Ableton.

Hi @michaelmauve Thank you for the additional info and for reporting this bug. We will do our best to resolve it and notify you when it’s ready :slight_smile: