Play+ main encoder does not change value when changing direction

I upgraded from Play to Play+. On the firmware 1.0.1 noticing the main knob do a really annoying behavior in menus and parameters:

1. Turning clockwise 1 step the value is incremented by 1. Display Value = 1
  2. Turning clockwise 1 step the value is incremented by 1. Display Value = 2
  3. Turning COUNTER-clockwise 1 step the value does not change. Display Value = 2
  4. Turning COUNTER-clockwise 1 step the value decrements by 1. Display Value = 1
  5. Turning clockwise 1 step the value does not change. Display Value = 1

In other words, when changing the direction of the main knob the value does not change until the second step. Did not notice this on the Play (non-plus) I had.

When rotating the main knob 360 degrees each step changes the value by correctly. Only non-registers first step when changing direction (either way clockwise or counter-clockwise).

Anyone else experienced this? I hope it is a software issue.

4 Likes

I’ve had a similar experience of the encoder “not always being precise”. I’ll try and see if you description matches my vague feeling.

just tested and mine doesn’t do this. works normally when changing direction.

in slightly related news I have noticed in synth edit & menus that it seems to have some sort of accelerometer, so when turning fast it can skip a bit. but at slow speeds it’s 1 at a time as normal on mine.

Hi @ian, Thank you for reporting this bug. We are sorry you’re experiencing issues while using our product. We will do our best to resolve it and notify you when it’s ready.

I also have experience of the physical click and the parameterstep not being aligned. Its very annoying. Gets me out of the flow.

1 Like

I have this exact problem with my Play+ and it seems to be getting worse. Now on some longer menus (when loading samples, for example) the click has this behavior in the same direction. As in, the click wheel misses a beat and doesn’t change the value of the parameter sometimes.