Pattern / selection window rotation

Rotate pattern or better yet the selection with wrap around would be really great! If the user could highlight a track or multiple steps/tracks and use the jogwheel or the arrow keys to rotate all events and empty steps inside the highlighted section, similar to the “invert”-function on the second pattern page (maybe not only the whole track/pattern but just in the highlighted part). This could yield fast inspiring changes or preferred corrections. Also without adding or removing events or pauses and keeping all relations between events in the edit-selection the same, apart from the wraparound.

What is the problem?

No pattern rotation, as far as far as the manual is concerned.

What do you want to achieve?

Rotate patterns/selections quickly and nondestructively.

Are there any workarounds?

Yes by many copy and paste steps you can achieve the result. Or a combination of inserting and erasing empty steps before and after the section in question. But especially while in an iterative process of trying variations, it is relatively tedious and prone to error.

Any links to related discussions?

Any references to other products?

The squarp pyramid, erica synth db-01, elektron boxes, arturias and many other sequencers can do it.

On the Tracker this could be even more powerful than those, because of the selectable custom window of rotation and the fact the user could even rotate multiple tracks as highlighted at once :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Wow this sounds great! You’ll get my vote for sure!

2 Likes

Yeah. Excellent suggestion.

1 Like

@Simme Thanks for your wish. It’s now ready for voting :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is mine wish as well.
Initially I thought of kind of FX in Performance view for this purpose with number of steps of rotate for track.
You have my vote.

Regarding this topic I have one idea of little bit improving Paste of copied data in Pattern View.
Let’s have a track with two notes at the first and last position.
Then let’s copy entire track into the same track starting from position 3.
What will happen?
The last note will be lost.
How about paste lost note at beginning?
This solution will provide a possibility to rotate a track/s in pattern in Edit mode.

Yes, the first thing I’ve missed from the tracker. The copy&paste is a great idea

That’s because you can’t select steps past the pattern end and thats unfortunate.

On the wish, I totally agree and pattern rotation perform FX would be great to have as well.