Note with unspecified duration in MIDI mode for drones

What is the problem?

It is currently impossible to sequence drones in MIDI mode because of the maximum note duration of 64 steps.

What do you want to achieve?

I wish it were possible to specify an “unlimited” duration (no NOTE OFF event) so that a single note could be spread over several patterns. Then it could be stopped either by triggering another note on the same track or having a “note off” step.

Are there any workarounds?

Not really, one can slow down a track or overlap sounds over several tracks to have a the feeling of a drone.

Any references to other products?

On some other grooveboxes, there are different implementations. On the Circuit Tracks you can specify “tied” notes. On the MC-101, if the note duration exceeds the pattern length and if the same note is retriggered, it automatically ties both notes if I remember correctly.

Thank you so much to the team :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Depending on the sample you have and the sound you’re after, a workaround may be to tweak the sample attack and decay, and also play with the delay & reverb. Basic drone techniques, I know, but worth mentioning them since they are available in the Play today.

1 Like

Hi ! Thanks a lot for your suggestions ! Actually, I was referring to MIDI tracks :slight_smile: Cheers !

Doh, sorry for the noise. I guess I was overwhelmed by all the new firmware release news today. :sweat_smile:

@here Thanks for your wish. It’s now ready for voting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Have you ever tried to send the Midi CC 64 (Sustain on/off) with the note to be held? I’m considering buying a Play mainly as a midi Sequencer and I rely heavily on drones.