MIDI Record Mode that maps keys to Instruments instead of Musical Notes

To make midi recording consistent with the behaviour of the pads on the tracker, depending on which lane you are on a track (note or instrument lane).

What is the problem?

Currently when recording via MIDI, regardless whether you are in the Note or Instruments Lane, it records the musical information (note and/or velocity microtiming) for the currently active instrument.

What do you want to achieve?

When focusing on the Instruments Lane, it would be great if instead of recording musical information. The keyboard keys would be mapped to all the available instruments. This would allow you to record for example a drum pattern that consists of multiple instruments.

The ideal scenario would be the following:

1. Note lane selected - midi input plays the current instrument chromatically (current behavior)
  2. Instrument lane selected - midi input plays one instrument per key. ie. c2 plays instrument 1, c#2 plays instrument 2, etc.

This would mirror the way the pads work now - if note lane selected the the grid keys play the current instrument chromatically, if instrument selected they play the instruments

Are there any workarounds?

No other than record using the pads

Any links to related discussions?

Any references to other products?

Hey @jack :wave:

i’m not quite sure i understand what you mean here? Could you elaborate / give an example of what exactly you’d like to accomplish?

My apologies for my lack of details. I’ve updated the initial request with an example. Let me know if you need more info. Thanks!

No need to apologize. It makes perfect sense now! :heart:
I’ve taken the liberty and tried to refine the wording and the title as well. Not sure if i made it better or worse… but i hope it is slightly better. :blush:

1 Like

@here Thanks for your wish. It’s now ready for voting :slight_smile:

1 Like