.iti instrument file-format support

I recently switched from OpenMPT / Furnace tracker to the Polyend Tracker.
It’s been great, but one issue I’ve had is I can’t use my library of .iti instruments on it.
.iti files are instruments used in .it files. Might be something like a piano instrument with one sample for each octave.

I could convert the files to .wav, but my sample library has thousands of samples, which makes this method not feasible.

What is the problem?

Lack of tracker support for samples/instruments outside of .wav

What do you want to achieve?

I’d like to be able to use my .iti format instruments in the Polyend Tracker/Mini.

The way the Polyend samples may be rather proprietary, thus making implementation difficult. An alternative would be implementing an import system, where the tracker quickly reads the file, and auto fills your sample loader with the samples in the instrument.

Are there any workarounds?

Extract the files manually and load them into the tracker the old fashioned way.

Any links to related discussions?

Any references to other products?

Hey @pingapong64 , welcome to the community :partying_face:, and thank you for your wish.

I have my doubts that we will see further format imports on the Tracker and honestly i’m ok with that.
BUT i started an effort to get documentation on the existing file formats, see:

This would give the community a possibility to actually create conversion tools themselfs.

Now in the case of .iti files - you say you can add multiple samples per instrument?

That would be something that wouldn’t be possible at this point since the Trackers instrument file seems to consist of a single sample file (plus the additional information). So unless the engine would support multiple files per instrument, i have my doubts this would be possible.

I think for this to become a feasible request, first we would need to have multi-sample support for instruments. Something that the Mini might be capable of, but i doubt that the OG Tracker will be able to.

Let me know if you would like to proceed with this wish, or if we should retool it, to something like “multi-sample instrument support”.

Thanks for getting back to me so fast, Sandroid.

I’d say go through with the current wish, although if multi-sample instruments is something that isn’t particularly feasible on the Tracker/Mini, I’d even be fine with something like just importing the instruments as multiple samples as I mentioned in my Workaround.

Keep in mind i’m just a community moderator and a tracker aficionado and not directly affiliated with Polyend. So these are just my opinions and assumptions.

If one of the two trackers could support multi-samples, it definitely could be the Mini.

So let’s see what Polyend has to say to this :blush: