Introducing Play+

How likely is it that the tracker/tracker mini gets the same synths added to it? Given the aggressive time frames for updating their hardware, maybe a new tracker is a few months away. :thinking:

In my opinion it makes more sense for the tracker to have built in synths.

The only way synths built in to the Play makes sense is if you can ‘play’ them in perform mode. So, maybe this release is a bit premature as this feature hasn’t been implemented yet.

I would not consider on board synths on the Play until AT LEAST the ‘pitch shift’ functionality of perform mode works on the synth side.

Otherwise, it may make more sense to sequence on the tracker.

What do you guys think about the trackers getting these synths?

7 Likes

I’d love to see these synth engines on the mini :100:

5 Likes

Would have thought synths would be a third grid page but it seems to have replaced the MIDI? (Okay so it’s shared… a sad compromise IMO)

I bought my Play when searching for a cool master sequencer. Sold my Beatstep Pro for it. 8 tracks is a bare minimum I was looking for in a sequencer. So the synths eat into that to an undesirable degree for me.

2 Likes

i as well hope to see a third grid dedicated to synths to free up the midi tracks again :heart:

6 Likes

Yep. “Upgrade” seems like a bit of a misnomer when you factor in the loss of MIDI tracks and sample storage (3min stereo vs 6min mono). Is there an option to force mono in the Play+ sample load process? As a new device, again, Play+ seems super super cool. Unfortunately I already bought the Play for what it was and what it seemed it could become with fw.

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Play/Play+ Updates and Upgrade Path

Do like the look of the new synth engines, and very interested what else is in the road map now :).

2 Likes

It’s been stated that firmware 1.5 will be addressing Performance mode for MIDI, so that is eventually incoming.

As for the Sampling, my impression from the many wishes I’ve read in the past, Polyend make it clear that the Play will never be a sampler. Maybe the ++ will address this or some form of the Play in the future, but I wouldn’t expect this to happen in the current iteration of the Play.

To be frank, it’s not a feature I want or need, but just being frank about what I’ve read from past rejected wishes.

Sample slicing mode is the most voted feature request for Play on the Wishlist. It was accepted by the Polyend, meaning that they think it is technically possible.

In general, if you are missing any feature in the Play, now it is a good time to check the Wishlist , vote for your preferred wishes or propose new ones. As a reminder, everyone gets 10 votes they can use and change.

You can use the Wishlist for play-plus wishes as well.

Let’s use this topic to discuss the new Play+.

5 Likes

Although a third page for synths sounds good in a first impression, thinking a bit further I wonder in which situations people will hit a limitation with the shared page for MIDI & synths. There are eight tracks, every track can carry different MIDI values and synths, and every pad can produce a chord if needed. There might be a reason to fill 8 pads for simultaneous audio coming from MIDI and synths (plus 8 for samples, that’s 16 simultaneous sound sources)… like very thick ambient textures or very complex polyrhythmic structures… orchestral music?

Three pages also means more moving around and more effort keeping in your head the actual structure of the music you are producing. Two pages means, one for samples (which is a type of behavior) and one for synths (local, MIDI, up to you).

1 Like

I think the machine is really a fantastic upgrade (see the other discussion about my feeling with ealry adopters, and some suggestions…). The only thing I would know if it will updated in the future is the ability to use different PATCHES per SYTNH per project.

Now you are bounded to the same patch once you select them it the specific synth. (Please look at LOOPOP video on youtube explaining this clearly).

So for example: I make a noise patch with WTFM and use WTFM as a synth for my 3 synths slot (yes you can use the same synth for the 3 synth slots): I can use only this patch for the entire project. This is a big limit.

Would this be addressed?

1 Like

“every track can carry different MIDI values and synths”: but only a patch per synth if I’m not wrong.

Please see my post here… :slight_smile:

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Discussion: Play users and the Play+ launch

A post was merged into an existing topic: To the Polyend Team: Thank You

I don’t personally need synths in my Play, so I won’t be upgrading, but because of the limited visual feedback offered by a single color pad, I tend to only use one MIDI channel per track, in order to keep my brain from exploding. And some MIDI channels have polyphonic instruments on them. I play keyboard. I jam live, I don’t program stuff in advance at all. So a four note chord takes up four tracks. Surely you can see how easy it is to run out of space even without the onboard synths. Perhaps your idea of music is more minimal than mine. I would hope that we are not prescribing the sort of music that can be imagined and created with the hardware. Surely this is up to the artist, and I’m an artist telling you that a grid shared between external MIDI and onboard synth tracks is not enough.

4 Likes

I second that thought. Especially since MIDI tracks are not “really” polyphonic

4 Likes

It’s not the fact that the midi/synths share the same tracks, it’s that the polyphony is split between the 8 tracks instead of polyphony being available on all of the 8 tracks simultaneously, they seem to have developed track sequencing the same way as the Tracker handles polyphony.

I’m glad to see the Play+ now has synth engines though, cos this now really does make the Play more capable of creating full songs and the Presets I have heard so far from the current engines really do sound great.

It would be cool if the synth engine had 4 multitimbral parts with say, 16-24 voices and 6 notes of polyphony per track and allow the other 4 tracks be used for external midi or whatever, that’s how the Novation Circuit handles it synth/midi tracks anyways.

Same goes for the likes of the Roland MC707, Synthstrom Deluge, Korg Electribe 2, they all have polyphony per each track.

I’m not sure why it’s how it is, but maybe’s Polyend can improve this giving the Play+ added cpu power.

2 Likes

The tiny MC101 has 128 voices of polyphony!

I got to say mind, although Polyend are receiving some flak at the minute, I think the Play+ has the potential to become one the best groove boxes on the market with it’s future updates.

Just don’t forget about that sample slicing feature! :wink:

4 Likes

I did notice the Play+ manual was posted already here so can check out more about it there: Play+ Downloads • Polyend

It seems more detailed and designed better than the old manual too. It looks like quite a bit could be useful to even Play users as long as they know which parts to ignore in it.

5 Likes

Indeed! The quality of this manual is on par with the updates we have seen for the Tracker/Mini. A nice printed version is included in the box. I like this map to better understand what is going on in Performance mode:

8 Likes