You can create custom beat fills on the Play. To successfully create a beat fill, these exact steps must be followed. Deviating from the steps below can result in beat fills that do not populate the grid. The most important step is loading the folders in the order listed in step 2.
Create the Beat Fill Pattern
- Create a New Project
- Select “Load Files or Folders in the sample menu and load folders in the following order. (Sample folders MUST be loaded in this order):
Bass (reserved for future use)
- Create patterns with:
a. Kick on Track 1
b. Snares on track 2
c. Hats on track 3.
- Save your project.
Note: All parameters will save to a beat fill. Beat fills will only populate 16 steps. Add chance actions to create beats with more variety.
Move the Pattern to the “Beat Fills” folder
Every pattern created in accordance with the steps above can be imported as a beat fill template by moving them into the beat fill folder on your SD card.
1. From a computer open the project folder. Then open the pattern folder and select the desired pattern.
2. Move it to the ‘BeatFills’ folder in the root directory.
3. Rename it to any name that fits the fill screen, such as “LoFi_1.pattern.”
4. Restart the Play. The beat should be available for beat, kick, snare, and hihat fill options.