FX Steps: Additional micro move command (backward)

In addition to the already existing micro move command “m” which move notes forward, it would be great to have an additional micro move command to move notes backwards.

What is the problem?

If you want to move a note a few ticks backwards in time, for example a snare to get a more interesting groove, you have to place the event one step before the actual step and use the micro move command “m” to move it forward to the desired place. This could be irritating and feels very unfamiliar compared to other sequencers.

What do you want to achieve?

An easier way to move note events backwards in time.

Are there any workarounds?

Placing the note one step before and moving it forward with step FX “m”. As this is already possible, it should be relatively easy, to add a command to do the same, but in the other direction.

Any links to related discussions?

Not so far.

Any references to other products?

Elektron Digitakt, Korg Seq64 and lot’s of other hardware sequencers.

2 Likes

Good request! I was surprised this wasn’t an option since swing has positive/negative but that works a bit differently.

Me too. I own the tracker only for short time and it’s a wonderful tool craft beats, but (micro-) shifting notes it’s something like an essential feature for me to get them grooving the right way. One direction is already covered - the other included would be great :slight_smile:

@here Thanks for your wish. It’s now ready for voting :slight_smile:

I was just about to add this wish!

But I will add my own perspective… to me it seems more logical to leave notes on their actual step and nudge them forward or backwards as opposed to having to relocate the note one step backwards…which creates confusion for me.

Oh yes!

You could do it the way M8 does pitch: values below, say, 50 raise it and values greater than 50 lower it. So a value of 1 moves the note forward by 1 tick and a value of 99 moves it backwards by 1 tick.

Moving notes backwards is a bit tricky to implement, as moving the first note in a pattern backwards will actually move it towards the end, but certainly doable (I know, because I’ve done it and I’m not even smart when it comes to these things).

This is exactly what I intended with my request :slightly_smiling_face:

This aproach would also fit my needs…The only challenge seems to be backward compatibility with older projects getting loaded…

Yes that makes sense to me now.

I don’t want to speak for development, but it seems like you’re right—changing the current way it works may affect existing project adversely. So introducing a new effect to micro-move backwards would be a fine solution for me, too.

(But I wish it was a single, bi-directional effect to begin with : )

From a “for-new-projects-only-viewpoint”, I would also prefer the bi-directional version :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like