Occurrence

Bug always happens

Found in

Version: 1.0.0
Build: 1354

Attachments

sample-pack.zip (3.4 MB)

Hello

I’ve created a custom sample pack, 248 one shot samples in three standard folders - Kick, Snare, HiHat

This loaded fine the first time I tried it, but since then I’ve been having trouble

It now typically loads 1/3 or 2/3 folders and then hangs with the message “Memory 7562%”; I can’t power it down via h the power button, and have to pull out the plug

Alarmingly this message now seems to be occurring earlier and earlier in the Sample Pack loading
process

I’m aware of the max 255 samples per Sample Pack limit, but are there any other limits I might be accidentally bumping into?

These are all relatively small one shot wav files, and I have tested on my laptop that they are not corrupted

All help gratefully received, thank you

1 Like

Is it ok to turn this post into a Bug report?

Of course. Sorry, I wasn’t aware of bug reports

Do Play sample packs require a particular formatting or sample rate? 16 bit? 24 bit? 44.1 khz? The (wav) samples I have play fine in a browser. But perhaps the browser is more forgiving format- wise than the Play

Done! Post moved to the Bug category and now it has the template for bug reports. Can you adapt your text to the template, please? It helps the Pokyend team abd anyone else willing to help.

Bug Description

• Play+ OS hangs upon loading custom Sample Pack
  • often shows “Memory 7562%” upon crashing
  • can’t power off with power button; have to remove power cable

Reproduction Steps

1. Add custom Sample Pack (attached) to SD card
  2. Navigate to “Load Sample Pack” and try to load custom Sample Pack

Occurrence

Bug always happens

Found in

Version: 1.0.0
Build: 1354

Attachments

sample-pack.zip (3.4 MB)

Copied last comment into first Wiki Post :slight_smile: Analysis to follow…

Hi @justin.worrall , thanks for logging a detailed bug report. Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce your issue with the steps you described. Did you try if the issue happens with the latest Play+ release?

Are you loading the samples on an empty project?

Thanks for your support and sorry for the inconvenience.

I have upgraded to OS 1.0.1 and am loading the samples into a new project. I get the same result - the Play+ freezes when loading folders from the custom sample pack. I will experiment a bit more and see what I find. The actual sample pack I have is much larger than the one I posted here, as there seemed to be a 4MB limit to what could be uploaded to the forum. So I chose a subset of folders where the problem seemed to be most prevalent. I am of course not trying to load the entire sample pack (too large), just one folder at a time. Perhaps the Play+ doesn’t like it when the sample pack is very large, even if the folders are small and loaded one at a time. I will see what I can find and report back. But it’s definitely not working at the moment, even on 1.0.1.

Hi @justin.worrall , thanks for explaining. Can you please upload the exact files / pack you’re using that causes the issue so we can reproduce it 1:1 and help you as fast as possible. You can use any 3rd party file sharing solution like g-drive, wetransfer, dropbox… if the files don’t fit here :slight_smile:
Thanks!

Hi again @justin.worrall , in the meantime we figured out what might be the cause of this problem: loading samples with more than 32 characters in file name can cause Play+ to freeze.

The issue has been discussed already here: Unit Freezes when opening old project file from Play (read comments)… but with slightly different reproduction scenario.

Please try to rename these files to less than 32 characters and let us know if this fixes your issue? This is a simple workaround while we work on delivering a fix (in the next update). Thanks again for bringing this up and let us know if workaround is successful for you.

Okay. Now. In the course of removing the SD card, uploading a new sample pack and then replacing it in the Play … my Play now seems to be totally bricked. No amount of holding down the power button will get it to turn on. I have tried with three separate power adapters and they are all the same. I have not damaged or forced the unit in any way. What now??? Starting to wonder if I have a defective unit. Is there somewhere I can send it? Sorry about this :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Hi @justin.worrall , I’m really sorry about this. Please contact our support and they will help you out.
Or wait for @borsuk to get back to you and he’ll help you. I will assign this topic to him. Best regards

No probs. Thank you.

1 Like

@justin.worrall Hi! :slight_smile:
Please fill out an RMA application found here: RMA Application Form • Polyend
Once you do, I will contact you directly and arrange the next steps.

@borsuk done, please let me know next steps

1 Like

@justin.worrall Thanks for filling out the RMA.
Before we move any further, try formatting your SD card:

1. Back up all of your projects and your own samples using the USB dongle
  2. Format the SD card (the format needs to be FAT 32 MBR)
  3. Download the fresh SD card content from our website (your unit has to be registered to do so)
  4. Copy the SD card content onto your formatted SD card
  5. Copy your backed-up projects onto the SD card
  6. Turn on the Play and see if it helped

Let me know if it helps.

The only change I to the SD card prior to the unit bricking was to remove the custom sample pack I had added. I find it hard to believe this is what has caused the problem.

Unfortunately I don’t have the time so complete the steps above that you suggest. I am a single parent with two children to look after. Could I not just return the unit and you send me a replacement? If you find the unit is in fact working and the SD card is at fault, you can return me the original unit.

@justin.worrall I understand that your time is valuable. However, all the steps that I wrote shouldn’t take longer than a few minutes. Definitely less longer than packing and preparing the Play+ for shipping :wink:
We discussed this case with our technicians and the SD card is most likely to blame. It’s possible that we have a solution that will prevent us from sending the unit back and forth.

Two steps forward, one step back.

I have reformatted the SD card and it seems to work fine with the Polyend standard content :slight_smile:

I wonder if the unit was not actually bricked, but just takes longer to startup with firmware 1.0.1 compared to 1.0.0. With 1.0.0 I thought it was 1-2 seconds before the machine reacted. With 1.0.1 it seems more like 3-4. Since the “bricking” seemed to coincide with the OS upgrade, I think I simply wasn’t holding the button down long enough. You might want to mention this to upgraders.

However. Custom sample packs still not working. If I try and load the Kick folder only from the sample pack below, then the machine hangs after 5-6 seconds showing the screenshot below.

Could the Play be freezing on finding a malformed sample? I don’t believe any are malformed - I believe they all play in a browser - but it’s possible they do not all conform to some kind of “strict” standard, as I admit they were hacked together somewhat :confused:

Any thoughts? @borsuk

I apologise for suggesting the machine was bricked BTW :frowning: