Filming Yourself Tips

Good question by @hey.erc Share your tunes - #219 by eric.brookfield

I’m lucky in that the ceiling in my studio allows me to attach Panavise 863W CCTV T-Bar Ceiling Clip Base that have 1/4 in thread to attach a selfie stick, cell phone holder and that gets my top down. I also have been trying to use different angles including outside and tripods come in hand and have a few other cool gadgets. I might do a video talking about some of these to help others.

If you have any tips if you shoot video as a one person operation for social media, please share!

2 Likes

Thanks! Yes, the more shares here the better. Do you capture audio separately and merge in a video editor?

to be honest, it depends on the gear and where I am at. Ideally, I try to capture everything in the phone to avoid marrying audio and video in post. I’ve done the merging and it’s tedious. Even the clapping thing depends on everything have a mic to hear that.

For overheads i personally use a Walimex Pro WT-501. A great (and cheap) Boomstand with lots of versatility. I have used it to mount cameras, phones and even a projector for topdown projections. For anything else i just use regular tripods.

Tip: some tripods allow you to change the direction of the center pole itself. So you could inverse them and film downwards. So if you have a big enough table, you could actually just put the entire tripod on the table. Manfrotto Compact Action Tripod for example allowed you to do that.

I personally always record audio directly to DAW or an audio editor on the computer.
Afterwards i sync things up in Davinci Resolve.It has a function that can sync multiple audio tracks up to eachother.

So if you are playing your audio through your speakers and it gets picked up by your phone / camera … you should be able to sync it up with zero effort with the higher quality recording.

2 Likes

If you have a mic stand you can get a tripod mount - to - mic stand adapter for very cheap, the nice ones even have a lockable pan/tilt ball socket. I use two in my Twitch setup, one on a clamp-on-tabletop boom mic stand and one on a tripod boom mic stand.

1 Like

I breifly touched on this here https://youtu.be/GOJyNKyOHdw?si=FgyHvwMWf59IPOH9&t=378

But really good light or daylight from a window, Camera or phone as their good enough and a way to record, usually i do a click to get the 2 to sync in software like davinci. I am thinking about doing a full video about my process

3 Likes