Extend the Play's Micromove to include the Half-Step

It should be possible to see extend Micromove to the half-step. This would extend the resolution of the given tempo to place steps exactly on the off-beat.

What is the problem?

As the manual states, “A given step can be triggered earlier or later by up to (but excluding) a half-step length”. Micromove is restricted to -11/11 step with 0 being no micromove applied. This confirms that you currently cannot access the half-steps in a track.

What do you want to achieve?

Extending the range of the micromove to -11/12 would allow a step to fall perfectly on the Half-beat / Eight’s note. As we often voice a tempo such as “1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and”, extending the micromove to the -11/12 range gives perfect access to the “and” beats.

Are there any workarounds?

In relation to an independent track there is no work-around that I know of.
In relation to other tracks you can double the tempo of a given track to double it’s resolution. However, this track still does not have access to it’s own half-steps, it just plays on the half-steps in relation to the other track.

Any links to related discussions?

Any references to other products?

1 Like

Shouldn’t it be -11/+12? Otherwise you could set a step at +12 followed by another at -12 and mathematically both would overlap, right?

It’s indeed a good point. In my perfect world, each step would have the capacity to shift an 1/8th both forwards and backwards, but in the current Play workflow, I do indeed see how the scenario you highlight creates 2 notes landing on the same beat. And my original proposed -12 can easily be replicated with the previous note set to 12. I really like your improvement to my proposal.

1 Like

Request has been edited to reflect your suggested improvement. Thanks again.

1 Like

Thank you, @dan.lgrnd. I have edited the wish to remove the use of first person, following the guidelines from Writing a good feature request.

@here Thanks for your wish. It’s now ready for voting :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why not move 24/24?

That way the Elektron-trick is possible where Trig A has Play 1 Skip 1, and Trig B has Skip 1 Play 1. And Trig B is Micromoved over to the same step as Trig A. Which is very useful to extend patterns.