Easy and portable solution for live input on Tracker Mini

There are a couple of threads and ideas regarding live recording of notes on the Tracker Mini.

I found a very simple and very portable approach using an Anrdoid device as controller with Midi over BLE, which is working really fine for me and I thought, I should share.

What you need/what I use:

1. A wireless Midi adapter. I use the CWE Widi Master: WIDI Master - Wireless MIDI Adapter via Bluetooth by CME
  2. An Android smartphone or tablet
  3. Android app for Midi connection over Bluetooth. I use “Bluetooth MIDI Connect”: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bluetooth.midi.connect
  4. An Android Midi controller/keyboard app. I use “Midi Conroller”: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.seemayr.midicontroller

How to do it:

1. Connect the Widi Master to the Midi ports of the Tracker using the TRS Midi adapters. Widi Master is powered by the Midi port so no need for extra power supply :slight_smile:
  2. Open “Bluetooth MIDI Connect” on your Android device; scan for devices and activate “Widi Master”
  3. Open “MIDI Controller” on your Android device, select “Widi Master” as MIDI device.
  4. Use “MIDI Controller” on your Android device as keyboard/controller for the Tracker :slight_smile:
5 Likes

Hello Frank,
thank you for your instructions. I bought a CME Widi Jack, but it doesn’t seem to get enough power from the Tracker mini. The Widi Jack also doesn’t get enough power via the USB C from the Tracker Mini. But with a small power bank it works. Of course thats not the perfect portable Solutionit, but the main thing is that it works at all. However, it records on a new track for each input. Can you tell me what I have to set there? Thank you, Peter

Hello Sandroid,
thanks for the workaround. It works!

1 Like

One more question. Is there a setting for the power supply via the MIDI ports? I’m wondering why your WIDI master gets enough power and my WIDI jack doesn’t. I cant find anything in the settings.

The Mini does not provide any power whatsoever via the USB Port, so that’s probably why it isn’t working as you would expect.

It seems that the WIDI Master has lower power expectations than the WIDI Jack.
My guess is that the WIDI Master runs at 3.3v and the WIDI Jack may require 5v.

As far as i know there is isn’t really any power settings, as the devices take care of that themselfs. The only available power setting you can find, is in the WIDI App and it controls the transmission power. I have my doubts, that it will do much.

For portability, you might want to consider something smallish like a Anker Nano:

Another brainfart: if you got the skills, a 3d printable case could be nice that houses a powerbank and the widi jack ergonomically. :blush:

I don’t know about the Widi Jack. Looking at the specs at CME’s site, it seems to have the same power consuption as the Widi Master, 37 mW, and both seem to support 3.3 and 5 V.
Side note: Have you connected both Midi In and Out of the Tracker with the Widi Jack? With the Widi Master this is essential, because it only gets it’s power from the Midi Out port. Widi Jack might behave similar.

Good point! Power is usually (and logically) only provided through the out ports

This is the battery pack I’m currently using. But it is still too big for its actual purpose. I’ve actually thought about printing a cover. But I haven’t given up hope that Polyend will integrate a note entry mode option;) All this Bluetooth Midi controller stuff is just annoying. In the end it’s all about being able to record a few sounds in real time. Time will tell. If it doesn’t come soon I’ll make a cover and show it here.

1 Like

Yes, I have connected both. But before I install a battery pack, I’ll try the master.

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to say that I was apparently just too stupid to plug in the plugs properly. The small one on the Midi Jack side wasn’t all the way in. A bit sluggish. This is how it works even without an additional power source! It’s great that the Widi Jack has an integrated magnetic holder, which means you don’t need a case or anything like that. My battery-operated Roli Block also works quite well. Of course without MPE, pitch bend etc but that is another topic. So thank you again! The tip with the CME WIDI breathed new life into the tracker mini for me!!

2 Likes

Great to hear, that it worked for you with the Widi Jack in the end as well :slight_smile:

1 Like