Doubt around time stretch

Hey guys,

Before asking here I tried to find some answers in backstage about this, and obviously read that specific section in the manual but…I had no luck.

Let me explain my doubts.

When using Timestretch Beat in a drums loop, we are offered 4 params: Tempo, Steps, MicroStep and Granule. My understanding or doubts around each of those:

Tempo: is this the target tempo or the tempo in which the sample sits before applying the time stretch and therefore the song tempo is used as target? Has the song tempo any influence on this sample modifier?

Steps: I guess this is the number of steps that are assumed to be in the current sample. So a sample containing 2 bars in 4/4 would be 32 steps.

Microsteps: completely unsure about what this does.

Granule: my guess is that this parameter expresses in seconds the smallest divisions used to divide the sample and stretch it. This will influence the size of the blanks needed to be filled by the algo applied or the size of the chunks removed when shrinking.

Could someone help correcting my assumptions and/or filling the gaps?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: Adding a capture from the manual:

2 Likes

Tempo defines the final tempo of the sample.
You are correct about Steps
Micro-step is amount of possible small adjustments when sample is being processed
Granule is size of the chop which will be used to stretch the audio by filling the gaps. The only thing that makes me be curios is why this section is not in seconds or ms or beats, but integer numbers

That doesn’t clarify anything for me, unfortunately.

Its more technical. As musician, you dont have special need to know precisely how it works. Just leave it as it is for most cases.

I hardly disagree :stuck_out_tongue:

Understanding how things work is how you can really incorporate them into your workflow reliably…otherwise you are just waiting to stomp on a happy accident.

It’s weird that there is no more information about this FX :frowning:

2 Likes

After testing some other time stretch flows I have to say that the one that seems more straightforward for me is the one that you can find in RX11 and its time stretch (the simple one not the one with variable timing).

There you pick the source bpm, the target bpm and the tool calculates the percentage that needs to be applied for time stretching.

Getting something similar for the time stretch in note mode (instead of the target duration setting) will make the process more straightforward.

For the beat case…I think that it just needs better documentation.

1 Like