This mode could be conceived in two different ways:
- A mode in which you could lock steps from being edited and play placed samples/steps freely by hand (see video below for proposed functionality)
- The idea is to use a function/key combo to enter this mode such as
Shift + Encoder
- A mode in which you can designate audio tracks as “performance tracks”
- Once in the “step lock” mode you can still press play as usual to play your song but then can use a lane to play back samples
- This would be used in conjunction with setting a lane to play speed 0
- Alternatively some way to set the tracks to not be affected by the playheads. This way they are never triggered by running a sequence
- The steps can be prepared normally (just like you edit steps currently)
This could be useful for adding more live performance abilities to the play and could open up new ways of coming up with ideas/experimenting.
Place something heavy on the encoder. This leads to risk of damaging the product.
Alternatively there is a different workaround where you set the play speed for a lane to 0 so that it doesn’t move on playback, then you can hold a sample select it and then preview the sample using the “keyboard” or hold the encoder and play the samples in the row but this still requires one hand to be constantly holding the encoder for live preview.
I was inspired by this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA_G3GvGM3w
The tracker pads let you preview samples, I know it’s different though as they aren’t tied to the steps. Also very different but the SP404.